starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to start to do deadlifts/squats with a belt?

Question When to start to do deadlifts/squats with a belt?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, i have started beginner program including squats & deadlifts. I see more experienced guys putting on belts for those exercises. I do rather low weights still for now, the question is when it's time to start putting on the belt for me?

Once your technique is good and the weights start to get heavy in the Squat, start using the belt. The deadlift you'll want to wait longer. You'll also have to figure out whether you can use a 3in belt for both lifts of if you'll need a 4in belt for the Squat and a 3in belt for the DL. Do you have a belt yet?

I'm still not using a belt for squats :-/ I just can't get comfortable with one, it's always digging in somewhere and that disturbs my concentration which sucks, as I suspect I could add 10Kg if I did.

I wear a 3" belt for every other lift for the top set and sometimes for the last warm up, or during dynamic lifts. I prefer 4" for press, and Bench.

If you are starting to struggle a bit with the top set, then it's time.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I am also curious about this. I ordered a 3” belt when I ordered my shoes and I’m still waiting on the belt. How will I know if I should get a 4” also?

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyS View Post
    I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I am also curious about this. I ordered a 3” belt when I ordered my shoes and I’m still waiting on the belt. How will I know if I should get a 4” also?
    You don't need a 4" belt. I bought a 4" lever belt prior to putting on some weight and then couldn't use it as the belly grew. As I've got rid of most of the flab, I can now use it again. I've been using the 3" happily for the last year without a thought for the 4" and making good progress. The 4" provides greater support, but it's nice to have not a necessity IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyS View Post
    Use the 3in belt for a while and see how you like it. If you feel it is sufficient then you're good to go. Depending on your anthropometry you may consider a 4in at some point. Cross that bridge when you come to it

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I'm still not using a belt for squats :-/ I just can't get comfortable with one, it's always digging in somewhere and that disturbs my concentration which sucks, as I suspect I could add 10Kg if I did.
    I think you should keep troubleshooting until you figure this out. Your comfort is not of our concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    I think you should keep troubleshooting until you figure this out. Your comfort is not of our concern.
    :-) yeah I know.

I do not have a belt for now. How can I tell if I need 3in or both? Should the Squat belt be more loose?

starting strength coach development program
    Oh I think I get it, inches mean belt width, not length, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast