starting strength gym

Thread: Press with kyphosis - concerned about progressing

Default Press with kyphosis - concerned about progressing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I didn't originally film this with the intention of showing it, so apologies for the less-than-desirable angle and distance. However, I think it shows clearly enough what I'm most concerned with.

As an SSC remarked to me at a seminar, "you're very inflexible for a skinny guy". I also have kyphosis, and am amazed at how vertical the average person is under a press. I'm very worried about progressing in what appears to be a permanent incline. To be any more vertical would require the bar forward of my mid-foot. I have no low back pain from these, and am especially careful to keep my abdominals contracted, but - is this horrifying to anyone as a coach?

YouTube

Not horrifying. Is that the best you can lock it out and shrug up?
    At some point you could do with pausing at the top or bottom to get the abs tightened back up, and your hips back underneath you. See how over the course of the set your belly and hips drift further and further forward?
    Have you tried the version of the press in the book with the reset at the bottom and the hip action?

Hi Pete, thank you very much for confirming that for me. Unfortunately that's about the extent of my ability to lock out without hyperextending my low back. This is obviously easier at lighter weights, but I have always to struggled to really "snap" into place at the top and hold it.

Yes, I notice I lean back progressively during the set - in my mind, this is my attempt to "get under the bar" as the reps become more difficult.

I was at the December 2017 seminar in WF (I believe you were there too) and have been coached in the "2.0" version a few times. I train alone and tend to revert to type, but I would like to practise it more at some point. I'm really pushing for a 135 press at the moment. The weight in the video was 115.

If it's not causing you any pain, then I'd say carry on. I would work to correct the issue of leaning back as the set progresses. If you're going to do this style of press, keep the bar locked out after 2-3 reps, reset the breath and abs, then continue. I'd would like to see a more authoritative lockout at the top if possible.