starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My first time doing a form check as I live in a low internet bandwidth location. This was my second set.
    Thanks for the pointers.

YouTube

Hey man, nice job repping 5 plates

A couple of things i'd like to see fixed in this squat tho
    1) Grip on the bar - Have your whole hand in contact with the bar, not just a few fingers, this will obviously help secure the bar on your back
    YouTube

2) Descend - Your hips are unlocking before your knees on the way down, this causes the knees to travel forward in the bottom and possibly a loss of balance with heavy weights

3) Ascend - It seems like you are lifting your chest up prematurely, could use just a bit more hip drive

Number 2 above is a cause of number 3. The knees are going to come forward and find their home despite your best efforts, so you may as well get them there on time. Holding them back is causing a shift at the feet as you hit the bottom, and is likely a cause of the aforementioned "chestiness".
    No doubt you can man-handle five wheels. Think about the knees going out and forward as you send the hips back, and see if you can stay more controlled into the hole and on mid-foot. If you can't get the knees and hips to break together at the same time successfully by thinking about it, then think about sending the knees out first.
    You probably feel yourself getting off balance in the bottom.

Please make sure you check out the sticky and are recording from the correct angle in the future.
    Thank you.
    - The Management

Thanks for all the advice. I will try to make corrections on my next workout.