starting strength gym

Thread: Form check for son & me (DL & Squat)....

Default Form check for son & me (DL & Squat)....

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Son and I are doing squats and DLs. We've got opposite issues that I need a bit of help with. I hope this will get posted so I can at least give Jr some feedback, at least on the DLs.

Son's Squat is here:
    YouTube

I think I see one issue....the bar is too high (but when he puts it lower it causes him some left shoulder pain). I don't know the solution for this.

Son's DL is here:
    YouTube

I think I see a number of issues, primarily his back is rounding (on 4th and 5th rep). I'm unsure what to tell him to correct it, outside of "keep that back flat"...that doesn't register with my 15 year old....

My Squat:
    YouTube

I am PRETTY SURE I'm going low enough, but I continually move forward on the 3rd/4th rep of a set when I'm tired, and I'm not sure how to prevent that.

My DL:
    YouTube

I'm sure my form is a bit off, but I feel RELATIVELY good about this, much better that I feel about my squat.
    (shoes were given to me for free.....)

Thanks for any help.

(Pete, if you're seeing this, I'll tell John you're scolding him from the internet, if I need to.....Please get that camp to Tampa ASAP!)

Hey Mike. Hope you're well.

John has the bar too high on his back and he's about 3-4 inches high. Start with a wider grip and get the bar lower, under the spine of the scaps. You'll be able to feel the bone under skin and the bar should sit just below that.
    Film the deadlifts from the other side next time. He's not setting his back. Get his chest up and low back flat, as he pulls the slack out of the bar before each rep. Remind him of the "drop your junk between your legs" cue.
    Bar is too high on your back and these are high as well. About 6 inches high. Don't post high squats. Crease of the hip below the top of the knee. Did someone put the matí on you with these?
    Widen the grip, get the bar down lower on your back, then move the grip back in.
    Avoid using those 12-sided to deadlift if you can help it. You get the back set and flat on the first rep, but then you really don't set it again for the rest. Move your eyes out 8-10 feet in front of you and get the chest up harder than you think you need to each rep.

I'm working on coming to Tampa for a camp 4/4. Just waiting on the gym to sign the contract.

I'm 6 inches too high from parallel? Shit...... When you get to tpa, I am going to really need some more attention. I honestly thought I was low enough and the bar was in great position, as it felt like I remembered with you in Orlando. I just have zero GD feel for this movement.

Can you please clarify what you mean by 12-sided?

We'll drop the weight and get technique back to correct, as best as we can starting tomorrow. I'll be honest - I'm disappointed bc I thought we were doing much better, but we still have a long way to go.

Can't wait for you to get here in TPA.

Pete when you say John is 3-4 inches high and I'm 6 inches high are you referring to squat depth or the bar is 3-4 inches high on our back?

I should have deleted this. Sorry Pete.