starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method squat form check.

Default Texas Method squat form check.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello
    I was hoping a coach could give me some tips on my final squat set. I started Starting Strength a few years ago and after a period of not much progress have started Texas method. I am basically self taught from youtube at this point and have never had any coaching so hopefully haven't got any bad habbits. With the heavy sets I notice a tendancy to lean forward a bit towards the end which I feel as I correct on the ascend.

YouTube

Here is my working set at 142.5kg (314 pounds). Appologies for the flickering lights, new camera was set to a bad frequence for UK lights.
    Cheers
    Dan

Danimal
    Your first two reps were to depth, but then they got cut off progressively higher and higher. Don't post high squats my man.
    Get your eyes down and keep them there.
    You're not leaning over enough or shoving your knees out, so getting to depth is more difficult than it needs to be. As soon as you start send your ass straight back, point your nipples toward the floor and aim your knees to try and touch the safeties on either side of you. Then make sure you're consistently hitting depth.
    Work on those things for now. You may need to take 5-10kg off the bar, but you can take bigger jumps coming back up. Just don't post them if the hip crease isn't below the top of the knee.
    Is this your volume day or intensity day?
    May I have permission to use you for a form check example project I want to do that may help others?
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 01-17-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Hi Pete
    Thanks for the feedback, I struggled to see if depth was good with the camera angle but shall work on that in the future. Even my warmups are to a similar depth so hopefully those queues will help with that rather than it being an issue of too much weight on bar. That was my top set for the intensity day so I can test out the queues for the volume day and submit another video.
    No worries using me as an example (or a warning!) If it is a video project you are doing I would appreciate a link when it is uploaded.
    Cheers
    Dan

Just finished the Texas Method volume day and I dropped weight lower than I am programmed to to try and get the depth down, 120KG instead of 126.
    -I made sure to keep eyes fixed on the ground and noticed I usually raised head on the way up so fixed that
    -Attempted to keep knees out and point nipples at floor however I felt myself falling forward at the bottom a few times, possibly bar placement is too high?
    -Depth was a mixed bag, 1st set I was still slightly high on most reps, even with the weight feeling easy. I worked on forcing myself lower and by the 5th set I think most are slightly below parrallel but could be wrong.
    -Side note I also got elbow pain from this set but there are enough threads on that.

Here is the video of the 5th set of 5: YouTube
    So I think full depth may still be a problem, any other queus or observations? Thinking I just need to practise going as deep as possible with lighter weights because I am maybe not accustomed to it and give up too early.

Thanks again for your time.

Somehow your stance got narrower from the first video to this one. Widen it out so the heels are under the shoulders, with toes turned out about 30 degrees.
    Then, instead of letting the knees travel straight forward, shove them out and try and touch the safeties like I mentioned before. If you're doing this right the first couple sessions, some people report their adductors being a little sore the next day. But if you don't get the knees out, you're going to keep struggling for depth as your "abs" mash into your thighs in the bottom.
    Bar doesn't look too low on either video. I do see the plate spinning, which may mean a soft upper back. Make sure the chest is lifted to extend the t-spine and hold that position.
    Getting some lifting shoes may help with balance as well.
    As you point the chest at the ground, you have to send the ass straight back to the wall behind you. If you let the hips go straight down while trying to lean over, you'll be on your toes. Lean over, butt back.
    Work on the stance, knees, and sending the ass back.

Hello again
    Have had a few sessions of practise and think I have the depth problem sorted, here is a clip of a working set at 130kg (lower weight untill more comfortable with form): YouTube . Any comments/things to work on going forward?
    After that I also tested a high weight (145kg) to see how that felt with the proper depth and managed 4: YouTube.
    I feel like Knee path has improved and I am leaning over more (enough?). Hopefully my form is heading in the right direction! I'll also probably get some lifting shoes this payday...
    Cheers
    Dan

Hey Dan
    Stance is still too narrow for your build. Move the feet out an inch on either side.
    Try and touch the safeties with your knees on either side as you descend.
    Aim your nipples between your knees. Sit back and think about reaching your ass back to the wall behind you so that you lean over sooner and enough to keep everything on midfoot.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi again
    Had a little while to practise and build back up, I feel like my knees and stance are better now but still unsure that I am leaning forward enough, I also have lifting shoes now which have definitely helped with stability at the bottom.
    Here is a top set of 5 @150kg: YouTube
    Any further advice before I attempt a new max?
    Cheers
    Dan