starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - 181lbs

Default Squat Form Check - 181lbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been training for around 3 months now and my squat form was all over the place around until I found Rip's "point your nipples to the floor" cue which helped me tremendously.

Here's my 2nd working set of 181lbs/82.5kg :

YouTube

Not bad.
    See if you get can get the upper back tighter by lifting the chest and pulling the elbows down some so it stays rigid. It's not terrible now, but could be an issue with the weight gets heavier. Glad the nipple cue worked.
    Move your stance in a little so the heels are under the shoulders. That will help you get and keep your knees out.
    Squat in shoes other than squishy running shoes. Weightlifting shoes are preferable. In the meantime, work boots or dress shoes or flat-soled shoes would be better. Something that's less compressible than running shoes.
    Bulgarian?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Not bad.
    See if you get can get the upper back tighter by lifting the chest and pulling the elbows down some so it stays rigid. It's not terrible now, but could be an issue with the weight gets heavier. Glad the nipple cue worked.
    Move your stance in a little so the heels are under the shoulders. That will help you get and keep your knees out.
    Squat in shoes other than squishy running shoes. Weightlifting shoes are preferable. In the meantime, work boots or dress shoes or flat-soled shoes would be better. Something that's less compressible than running shoes.
    Bulgarian?
    Thank you! I'll pick up some chucks (can't really afford proper weightlifting shoes right now) and work on upper-body tightness as you suggested. Also I'm Serbian, not Bulgarian, but pretty close.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by bool3max View Post
    Also I'm Serbian, not Bulgarian, but pretty close.
    Yeah, it was a guess. I couldn't quite make out the language being spoken in the video, but I thought the sign on the wall was Bulgarian.

You can also use some old dress shoes to squat.