starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys!

I started SS back in the fall after a friend introduced me to the program. I made it to sets of 5 @ 225 for squat and 285 for deadlift (not using correct form for either.) Long story short I began getting a sharp burning/pinching sensation in my lower abdomen that I thought was due to my belt. Took the belt off and had it so bad I had to stop lifting. I "exercised" for about a month, but during this time I actually read Rip's book and have watched/listened to countless hours of Rip's YouTube videos and SS podcasts. I cannot deny that his teachings on strength/conditioning is spot on.

I want to get strong, but I want to have good technique and don't want to get injured. I'd get a SS coach if there was one in Arkansas or online coach if money wasn't tight at the moment.

My videos here are from today @ 160 lb squat and 190lb deadlift. Please form check this and I'll do any modifications needed. I seem to lean forward from time to time. No pain right now other than some lower back during deadlift but this is this first time I've actually loaded the lower back, but want it to be correct. Your help is invaluable to me. Thanks in advance! Also, I added random ambient music so YouTube wouldn't get their panties in a wad.

Squat rear view:
    YouTube

Squat side view:
    YouTube

Deadlift:
    YouTube

Are you squatting on astroturf?

Those don’t look bad at all.

Consider buying Squat Shoes. You seem to be on the heel a bit too much sometimes.

Maybe you can go down a little bit faster and then use more of the bounce off the hamstrings for hip drive instead of lifting the weight with the quads and knees. That should also lead to the proper depth a little below parallel which was not the case in all of the reps.

You look down excessivly. Find a spot a little further away from you.

Deadlift also looks good. The camera angle is not optimal though. Maybe the back is still a little bit rounded?

Squat: As Sawyer mentioned, we want your head and neck to be in a neutral position so yes adjust the gaze to look forward a tad more. This is contributing to your thoracic spine(upper back) being a bit flexed. Think about getting your chest up(extents thoracic spine) when getting into position under the bar before you step back to Squat. Don't keep your chest up when you squat though. Do everything else the same.

Deadlift: Pay much more attention to squeezing your chest up hard at the bottom. Think about showing your nipples to the wall in front of you. Arch your low back hard. Bar may also be behind midfoot(tough to tell from this angle - film from the side, slightly in front of the bar, not behind) - you need a little more shin angle at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    Are you squatting on astroturf?
    Yes, I believe that is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Those don’t look bad at all.

Consider buying Squat Shoes. You seem to be on the heel a bit too much sometimes.

Maybe you can go down a little bit faster and then use more of the bounce off the hamstrings for hip drive instead of lifting the weight with the quads and knees. That should also lead to the proper depth a little below parallel which was not the case in all of the reps.

You look down excessivly. Find a spot a little further away from you.

Deadlift also looks good. The camera angle is not optimal though. Maybe the back is still a little bit rounded?
    Thank you for the help! I'll apply that. I'm planning on getting me a pair of shoes next month!

I figured so on the deadlift. I'll get a better view posted here soon! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Squat: As Sawyer mentioned, we want your head and neck to be in a neutral position so yes adjust the gaze to look forward a tad more. This is contributing to your thoracic spine(upper back) being a bit flexed. Think about getting your chest up(extents thoracic spine) when getting into position under the bar before you step back to Squat. Don't keep your chest up when you squat though. Do everything else the same.

Deadlift: Pay much more attention to squeezing your chest up hard at the bottom. Think about showing your nipples to the wall in front of you. Arch your low back hard. Bar may also be behind midfoot(tough to tell from this angle - film from the side, slightly in front of the bar, not behind) - you need a little more shin angle at the bottom.
    Thank you brother! Your help is greatly appreciated. I'm going to make these changes and I'll be uploading a deadlift with better camera angle here soon. You guys are awesome.

starting strength coach development program
    Here is my deadlift at 195 lb with the better camera angle (hopefully). I focused on the cues y'all gave. Let me know what you think.

The introduction is for Rip

Deadlift:
    YouTube