starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check: 80lb

Default Squat form check: 80lb

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    YouTube

Hi there,

Dabbled around with a few programs here and there and never made much progress due to poor diet and lack of real program.

Stumbled upon S.S. and have been pretty stoked to give it a go.

Given how I haven’t done much more than goblet squats before, having a bit of a hard time getting the squat right and was hoping I could get some advice on cues and things to fix my squat.

I read the book cover to cover but under the bar, even though the weight is extremely manageable at the moment, I find it difficult to remember everything I need to do just yet.

To me, it seems that my lower back goes into flexion at the bottom (starts before hitting parallel) and maybe my stance is too wide?

I do feel a decent stretch in the groin muscles and they are sore the next day. My neck is also quite sore. I am not very flexible. If it’s any indication, going into a squat with no weight is hard for me to do without holding onto something to balance myself. And at the bottom, my lower back is tucked in quite drastically.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Slow down your descent. You are correct that you need to keep your upper back and lower back in extension and not let them flex. Think about fighting the urger to "fold over" at the bottom. Tight upper back, arch lower back. Get a big, held breath

Thanks Ryan.

I didn’t realize I was descending too fast. I was under the impression that if I went too slow I’d lose the tension at the bottom. And I remember reading that I should always just think about going up and not think about the descent.

Do you think a wider stance would help?

You won't lose any tension if you focus on staying tight and not losing tension. Lifting is something you do, not something that happens to you. Its easier to lose tension if you go down too fast(aka dive bombing), so descend at a normal, controlled speed. Stance looks fine although its tough to tell from the low camera angle. Hip height is ideal

I don't see anything wrong with the descent or speed on the way down especially considering the weight and it looks extremely easy for you.

Your back issue to me looks to be a discipline/not focusing on keeping your back flat. Lock it in and keep it locked in.

The primary thing wrong here is the shitty camera angle.

Updated - Read this before posting. Even if you've been here forever.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I’ll post an updated video in a couple days with someone actually holding the camera for me this time around and pay more attention to back position.