starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS Novice Squat Form Check

Default SS Novice Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been checking my form against the blue book and videos Rip did with Brett McKay, but honestly my eye just isn't trained enough to see what I need to do better. My squat feels good, but something doesn't seem right when I watch the videos. I'm hoping someone on here can help me locate the issues. Thanks in advance.

My last set at 195 lbs

Hey Cale
    Squatting in squishy running shoes is the first issue. Get some lifting shoes before you buy anything else. In the meantime, some old work boots or dress shoes with a non-compressible sole will work. Or flats if you must.
    You're sitting the ass straight down. Part of the lean over is to get you to send the hips BACK away from the feet so you can keep your COM over it's center of balance. Shove the knees out and reach your ass back to the wall behind you.
    Also, take a breath at the top of each set and make sure everything is tight, rather than going right into the next rep.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the earlier reply Pete.

I've since bought squat shoes and they help tremendously. Would you or someone else mind checking my squat form now? It feels much better, but I still feel like I'm a little loose coming out of the hole. Are there any cues that could help with this? Really appreciate all the help you guys offer.

For reference I'm 5'11 and 203 lbs. Trying to get to 220, started at 194 a month ago.

Last set at 235 lbs:

Glad the shoes are working out.
    You're sitting straight down and plopping in the hole rather than reach back with the hips. That, and getting the knees out to stretch the adductors will give you that feeling of tightness and rebound out of the bottom. Shoving the knees out will also make hitting depth less of an issue. You're close on a couple of these.
    Lean over and reach back with the hips. Try and touch the safeties with your knees so that femurs stay in line with the feet.
    Also, see if you can get your grip so the wrist is more neutral. The way your right wrist is extended, you're likely to start shoving the bar up your back and kill your ability to lean.

Hey Pete, thanks again for all the help. I think I had a few breakthroughs yesterday. 1: I had to reset 10% because I failed. 2: I realized I had been placing the bar above instead of below the spine of the scapula. Just an inch made a huge difference in how the weight felt. And 3: I’ve discovered a cue that works great for me, I think about shoving my stomach in between my legs as I’m descending into the squat. I don’t know why that works when nothing else does, but oh well, I’m happy with the results. Here’s my last working set from today: YouTube

I’m sure it still needs work but I think it’s a step in the right direction. Thanks again.

Since moving the bar lower, I’ve developed bruising on my delts, right under the very end of my shoulder. Is this just from not being used to the bar position, or is it improper placement? My shoulders are also very tight, almost to the point of making me nervous. I assume this will just take time to adjust to, but I would like input from others to know it’s nothing to be concerned about.

It's an abrasion or a bruise?

Bruise. Not much color, but very tender in that spot on both sides.

Could be just a "bar kiss" being that it's in a new spot. I wouldn't be concerned unless it gets worse or prevents you from squatting properly.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds good. Does my squat look better in that most recent video?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast