starting strength gym

Thread: Comparison of two bench grips.

Default Comparison of two bench grips.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been really OCD about my bench press grip width for a while. I know these two videos aren't in the preferred format, but I just wanted to compare the effect of the two grips on the forearms. I originally had them filmed just for me, but I figured I might benefit from some more learned opinions. These aren't true work sets, but there is enough weight on the bar that I feel like I'm pushing something. Again, I am only really interested in which grip is the one I'd be better served using (even though the variance appears small to me). If anyone notices any other issues though, feel free to mention them.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I've been really OCD about my bench press grip width for a while.
    Why? Are you having pain while benching?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Why? Are you having pain while benching?
    No, but the weight I can put up has never been very high. The best set of 5 I've managed was 200. I was concerned there might be a form issue, namely in the grip width. I thought maybe one a teensy bit wider would serve me better. The recommended width feels just a little bit like my forearms are angled inward. Probably doesn't show up in the video due to scap retraction but my arms are very long.

Maybe there's some confusion. The recommended grip is the one that give you vertical forearms with the bar touching about mid-sternum. Whatever that happens to be for your build.
    Which is the second video you posted. You're fine with that grip.
    Now go forth and bench 300!

What's your overhead press up to?

Best I managed there was 130 for 5. But yes, I know about the vertical forearms recommendation. By "recommended" I meant the basic, cursory recommendation that has been given of using a one grip width out from the edge of the inside of the knurl (I know it was said this works for "most" people not all). I was trying to essentially find which of the two really produced the vertical forearms. I was having trouble telling due to the shape of the forearm not exactly being a straight line from end to end. But you've answered that, thank you. Pinky on the rings it is.

starting strength coach development program
    Perfect. Good luck with the training. Let us know how it goes.