starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - lumbar flexion acceptable?

Default Squat form check - lumbar flexion acceptable?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

I am Felix from Munich, Germany, 6'3'', around 220 lbs. I recently found out the low bar works better for me than high bar. However, I am a little concerned about my lumbar flexion aka butt wink at the bottom of the squat. I have recently started to take several measures in order to prevent it, e.g. mobility work (including foam rolling and lacrosse balls) and stretches. I can isometrically contract my lower back just like Rip showed in one of his videos as long as I am standing upright. I even went to a CrossFit Rookie seminar but the answer of the coach there didn't really help.

Can someone tell me if I even have to be worried about the lumbar flexion shown in the videos?

Videos are 220x5 sets. The weight is low because I almost never squatted in the past and I didn't want to compromise form in the videos. If the technique is acceptable, I will start raising the weights.

Thanks in advance.

YouTube 220x5 back angle

YouTube 220x5 side angle

Hey Felix. Welcome.
    A bit of filming advice for next time, have the bright light from the windows at your back if you can. It would be easier to see smaller details if shot from the other side. Next time.

You're keeping the knees back when you start and squatting on your heels. Let the knees go forward and out as soon as you start. Lean over, shove the knees out, and squat on midfoot.

Try taking a bigger breath into your belly when you brace for the valsalva. And be deliberate about getting the trunk tight before every rep. Lifting the chest before each rep to get the upper back tight will also help with making sure the lower back is tight.
    Could be just the lighting or video quality, but it doesn't look egregious. It may actually clean itself up with heavier weight, as this particular problem tends to do.
    Get some lifting shoes as soon as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by hansuswurstus View Post
    butt wink
    This term is verboten

They have pictures of American football on the walls of a German gym?

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate the help. I will apply your advice in my following workouts. My biggest concern was a major injury if I squat heavily loaded with the wrong form (lumbar flexion) for years as I don't want to destroy my spine. Generally, it seems like there's a lot of fearmongering in this regard outside of the SS community. That's why Rips butt wink article gave me a good laugh in this context.

They have pictures of American football on the walls of a German gym?
    Germany is a second USA in terms of fitness industry - basically everything has adapted accordingly. ;-)