starting strength gym

Thread: Squat 280 pounds and feeling heavy

Default Squat 280 pounds and feeling heavy

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hope everyone is having a good morning, this is my third set at 280 and it's getting tougher to progress, any squat advice would be greatly appreciated.

YouTube

Hey Jeffrey
    You're leaning over a bit late, and it's play havoc with your balance. Which is messing with your hip drive.
    I'd turn around and face out of the rack so you can focus on something a few feet away on the ground that's going to help with balance. It will also help to keep the eyes down so you stop lifting the chest too early and diminish the hip drive. Then I'd lean over sooner and send your butt away from your feet.
    That last rep was so tough because you started lifting your chest when you felt yourself off balance.
    Are you on a late-novice LP?

Thank you Pete, I had been wondering if facing out would help, I will definitely be giving that a try and that's great info to work with. I'll try to lean sooner and get my butt away from the feet.

I am 31, started at 185BW now at 215BW. I believe I am getting to late novice phase.

Start July 1st
    Squat:155
    Press:65
    Deadlift:135
    Bench: 145
    Power Clean: 95

Today: July 31
    Squat: 280
    Press: 145
    Deadlift: 315
    Bench:185
    Power Clean: 155

Everything is going up except the press is starting to stall and I can feel the squat coming but with your advice I should be able to continue on!

You meant "January" and not "July", right?
    To clarify my last repsonse, the last rep was tough partly because you lifted your chest early and partly because it's starting to get to the point where you'll need to consider what your next step is programming-wise.
    Consider moving to late-novice on the squat, where you take a lighter day in the middle of the week. It'll give you an opportunity to hammer the technique and you'll get a little relief going into the last workout of the week so you can nail it. An example would be...
    Monday 285x5x3
    Wednesday 205x5x3 (70ish % of Monday)
    Friday 290x5x3

Yes sir! January I meant, and perfect, I got practical programming for Christmas so I'll start reading it soon, and adjust the programming accordingly, thank you again for the help.