starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check for a stubborn bastard

Default Squat form check for a stubborn bastard

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coaches, finally posting my first form check after banging my head against the wall in trying to figure out how to fix my squat. I'm the type that always thinks I can figure things out without help, often to my own detriment - but I'm ready to admit I need it. Also one to drastically overthink things I'm struggling to improve on, which is a bad combination with whatever bad habits I'm certain I've developed while training alone.

5'9" ~195 lb
    Highest 3x5 squat was 300, though perhaps questionable depth. Other lifts are moving up for the most part and I'm much less in my head about them. I'm deadlifting 1x/week and doing a light squat day on Day 2.
    DL: 1x5x350
    Press: 3x5x110
    Bench: 3x5x175
    Power clean: 5x3x157.5

Around the 280-300 range I keep hitting a wall on the squat. A few recent clips linked below - I did my best to follow the sticky but am limited in camera positioning (small garage) as well as clothing (small unheated garage in the winter). Greatly appreciate any assistance/suggestions.

1/21/20: 285
    1/24/20: 290 fail on 4th rep
    1/28/20: 290

Things I see: Right hand/wrist position is wonky; I've been working to fix it but its resisting my commands. Knees are too loose - even when I set them well on descent they cave a bit on ascent. Back position/tightness is miles better than it used to be, but still could use work. Often get forward of midfoot on ascent, which I think suggests that I need to sit back/lean over more - or perhaps its just more focus needed on master cue?

I think you could do a little better with thoracic extension:

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

But form is not the issue. You are ready for intermediate programming.

Thanks Ryan, really appreciate you taking a look. Will dust off PPST3 and get back to work