Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

This is my first time posting on the forum so here's some info:

Height: 175cm (5'9")
    BW: 95kg (209lbs)

Workset on deadlifts below is 100kg x 5. Any feedback is appreciated.

These look good

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    These look good
    Thanks for the reply Ryan, I'll keep adding weight.

At the beginning of this week, Monday may 4th I restarted the NLP due to a lay off aka Corona related gym closure. Managed to get a good barbell, set of bumpers and a squat stand (I know not ideal) for home. This is the deadlift work set, just over 80% of the work weight before the layoff.

YouTube

Once again any feedback is appreciated.

Hey Petar, sorry for the late reply.

You are dropping your hips and combining steps in the setup. I will re-post the steps as a refresher. Do them all separately. Secondly, focus more on the squeeze. Arch your low back HARD. Your spine wants to flex with a weight in your hands so you have to force it into extension to counter act this.

The Deadlift: Perfect Every Time
    1. Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. Your shins should be about one inch from the bar, no more. This places the bar over the mid-foot – the whole foot, not the mid-instep.

2. Take your grip on the bar, leaving your hips up. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

3. Drop your knees forward and out until your shins touch the bar. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.

4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE.

5. Squeeze the bar off the floor and drag it up your legs in contact with your skin/sweats until it locks out at the top. If you have done the above sequence precisely as described, the bar will come off the ground in a perfectly vertical path. All the slack will have come out of the arms and hamstrings in step 4, the bar will not jerk off the ground, and your back will be in good extension. You will perceive that your hips are too high, but if you have completed step 4 correctly, the scapulas, bar, and mid-foot will be in vertical alignment and the pull will be perfect. The pull will seem "shorter" this way.

Hi Ryan! Thanks again for your reply. I tried to incorporate your feedback in my latest workout and to be honest I think I didn’t improve on either of the points. 

This time I positioned my shins a little closer to the bar, about 1” as opposed to closer to 2” previously. However when I bring my shins to the bar it still looks like I drop my hips, even though I try not to. Is there something I can focus my mind on in order keep the hips higher, whilst bringing the shins to the bar and knees to elbows? 

The last warmup set:

YouTube

Work set: 

YouTube

Hmm. It is improved but not all the way. Let's see what happens when the weight gets heavier. For now you could focus on "staying out over the bar." You may have to think about keeping the weight towards your toes. You could also try adjusting your gaze - look at a spot on the floor closer to you

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Hmm. It is improved but not all the way. Let's see what happens when the weight gets heavier. For now you could focus on "staying out over the bar." You may have to think about keeping the weight towards your toes. You could also try adjusting your gaze - look at a spot on the floor closer to you
    Alright, I’ll keep working on and get back to you with heavier weights. Thanks!