Thread: squat form check - second try

Default squat form check - second try

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

this was my first form check: YouTube (Thread

This was Pete Troupos' advice:

A bit of filming advice for next time, have the bright light from the windows at your back if you can. It would be easier to see smaller details if shot from the other side. Next time.

You're keeping the knees back when you start and squatting on your heels. Let the knees go forward and out as soon as you start. Lean over, shove the knees out, and squat on midfoot.

Try taking a bigger breath into your belly when you brace for the valsalva. And be deliberate about getting the trunk tight before every rep. Lifting the chest before each rep to get the upper back tight will also help with making sure the lower back is tight.
    Could be just the lighting or video quality, but it doesn't look egregious. It may actually clean itself up with heavier weight, as this particular problem tends to do.
    Get some lifting shoes as soon as you can.

Since then, I have purchased weightlifting shoes. I also tried to shove my knees forward at the same time I bend at my hips. I also tried to have better video quality this time.

This is the result: YouTube

What I already realized is I didn't look down this time. Other than that, what do you think?

P.S.: I am not the groaning guy.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey Felix

Good call on the shoes.

Correct on the "not looking down" part. Give yourself something to stare at. Keys, water bottle, etc.
    Lean over more and sooner. As soon as you start, reach you butt back to the wall behind you and get the torso pointed toward the ground more. Otherwise, these aren't bad. 100kg is easy for you. Let's start adding some weight to the bar and consider purchasing a belt soon.

Hey Pete,

thanks for the advice, will implement that next time. I find the cues "chest up" and "lean over" a bit confusing but I think that just means you should have a tight, slightly extended upper back, right? The corresponding pictures in SS 3erd edition also helped me understand this better.

Unfortunately, we have mirrors in front of the racks so it's a little harder to fixate on an object but it should be no problem nontheless.

As for the belt: I have purchased a nylon belt years ago. Would that work as well or do I really need one of those broad leather belts? I have this belt: Link

I know the two cues seem like they're at odds, but you seem to understand what I mean. Yes, chest up to get the upper back extended. The lean over comes from the hip, with the entire torso moving over as one rigid unit.

Eh, I'd get a 4 inch wide (all the way around), 10mm thick leather belt. I prefer single-prong. A good one will last you a long time. This nylon thing is...better than nothing.
    Also, I made the mistake of finding the German word for "leather belt" and searching for it on German Amazon. Some pretty freaky shit came up. Lesson learned.

Got it! I don't know what the hell you typed in there but "Ledergürtel" finds you normal leather belts. You sure that was Amazon? Haha ... For weightlifting belts it's something like "Gewichthebergürtel".