starting strength gym

Thread: Sq form recheck

Default Sq form recheck

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    34M, 6'5" 220lb
    Previous session: 325x5x3 narrowed my stance but it was still too wide.
    Set 3 from last session
    Today: 330x5,5, 2 fail on rep 3 , 5. Not a real training session without needing to do 4 fucking sets of squats. narrowed stance such that heels are directly under AC joint (to my eyes.)
    Set 3
    Set 3 fail (think I went a little too deep and relaxed hamstrings/lumbar extensors?)
    Set 2
    Set 1

Thanks for your time and help,
    Matt

You need to commit to leaning over at the outset of the movement. You are afraid to do so until the physics of the situation forces you to do so at the bottom. Your failure ("fail" is a verb) in the second video was because you never even tried to lean over and you just basically sat back down with your back vertical. I'm thinking, also, the bar is a little too high on your back.

Your knees are caving in, which will require you to shove them out and keep them shoved out. Proper back angle through the movement will also help with this.

Good work for the mechanical problems, nonetheless.

I'll surrender the balance of my time to Dr. Arnold.

I'm noticing a lot of a problem I used to have, which is I began squeezing my knees closer together to start the ascent out of the bottom of the squat. I've read your previous check posts and noticed your work weight has been around the same. I'd recommend deloading some to get a better movement pattern ingrained into the muscle memory. It sucks going backward, but you will work your way back up plenty fast. Training without a coach there yelling cues at you to fix yourself up makes form creep a big issue when going it alone. You have to rely on your internal voice for that stuff, and inevitably, when you hit heavier and heavier weights, that internal voice trying to keep your form correct gets drowned out by the one just screaming at you to get that big heavy weight up. Also, you're still on LP right? Are you doing the middle light day? You should probably be at the weight you're working with.

Satch is right about the lean. And your knees go straight forward from the outset rather than outward. Aim them outward toward the safeties when you start and aim your nipples between your knees.

The stance width on the set you failed is a bit wide. Narrow that up.
    And stop squatting squishy New Balance shoes. You have less hope of keeping your balance under a heavy bar. Buy lifting shoes or wear some old work boots or dress shoes in the meantime. You need something with a solid sole that's not going to have give.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Dr. Arnold.
    Congrats Ryan!

Thanks for the coaching everyone. Will save for a pair of shoes. My only current options are those old man NBs or an even more squishy pair of NB runners.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I'd recommend deloading some to get a better movement pattern ingrained into the muscle memory.
    I’d hate to do that too but I guess it’s not losing progress if none of my reps were acceptable in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Also, you're still on LP right? Are you doing the middle light day? You should probably be at the weight you're working with.
    Still on lp but I am not doing the middle light day yet. I have been able to add 5 lbs to dl and the thing I call a squat nearly every session, and, more to the point, I am not yet confident enough in my power clean. I know I need to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Congrats Ryan!
    haha. Med school was a breeze

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    haha. Med school was a breeze
    What, like it’s hard?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by O157H7 View Post
    Still on lp but I am not doing the middle light day yet.
    It's past time to add the light day in the middle and move to a late novice LP.

Take a small reset, and make your middle day about 70% of your Monday workout for 3x5. Just take ten pound jumps for the first couple sessions coming back up if you're going to reset at 90% of where you left off.