starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check, knees of Sisyphus

Default Squat check, knees of Sisyphus

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    34M, 6'5", 220lbs, SSLP since late Oct 19'
    Last session, 2/7/20: 330x5,5, 2 failure on rep 3 , 5. Was told femoral external rotation insufficient, back angle too upright, stance too wide, bar too high on back, and shitty shoes. Also suggested I deload to fix these problems.
    Set 3 last session
    This session, 2/9/20: 335x2 & 315x2 stopped on each bc I felt unable to complete them with suggested adjustments. Deloaded and only counted what I considered acceptable. Ordered a pair of power perfect 3's. Struggled to keep wrists neutral-extended.
    275x5, 280x5, 285x5.
    Set 3 285
    Set 2 280
    Set 1 275
    As always, thank you for your time and feedback,
    Matt

My sense is that the knees thing may be a bit of a long term fix. You may consider adding Pause Squats or Tempo Squats to your programming on a light day. What is the situation with the wrists? If you are doing a standard thumbs-over-the-top grip you don't need wrist wraps. If you feel you need to go thumbs around, the wraps are usually helpful with wrist extension, they also need to be worn so they cover the wrist joint, and take the loop out

Thanks for the feedback Ryan. Apologies if this is a double post, I didn't see my 1st reply show up.
    RE:Wrists, Short answer: I don't know what I'm doing/I'm doing something(s) incorrectly. Longer: I use the wraps b/c I find a stable (firm thenar & hypothenar contact with bar) thumbs-over grip places my wrist in enough extension that there is a moderate but acceptable amount of pain during a set, the wraps seem to mitigate that somewhat, a more horizontal back angle has helped even more. Today, per feedback, I made a conscious effort to place the bar inferior to last session's position. As the obnoxious setup time on some of these sets shows, I found it difficult to accomplish that while establishing a stable and tolerable thumbs-over grip; too wide and the weight rested on the thumb MCP joints, too narrow and my shoulders felt too high/overextended. Maybe just a bad day or perhaps I was placing the bar too low.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    My sense is that the knees thing may be a bit of a long term fix. You may consider adding Pause Squats or Tempo Squats to your programming on a light day.
    Gotcha. How would you suggest I proceed in the short-term? I've been adding 5 lbs to what I call a Sq 3 times a week since late October, and will confess to not doing a light day as I've also been able to add 5 lbs to DL, at least 2.5 lbs to presses each workout. Will have lifting shoes by next workout.

Thanks again,
    Matt

I would try a grip with your thumbs around the bar + wrist wraps(that cover the wrist joint a little more) and see if that helps. I would add some pause squats or tempo squats on the light day at around 70-80% of current working weight. Maybe 3 triples instead of 2x5