starting strength gym

Thread: Squat, Press, Deadlift check

Default Squat, Press, Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6'5" 220
    Last Squat session Last Press, DL
    Squat: 310. Focused on keeping knees out, neck & wrist neutral, rigid spinal extension, fluid set up. Think I did a better job of keeping the wrists neutral but you can see them slip into extension over the course of a set.
    set 3 set 2 set 1
    Press: 150x5,4,5. Tried to eliminate knee bend, increase hip rom, keep wrists neutral. Think I missed rep 5 on 2nd set because I took too long to complete the set.
    set 3 set 2 set 1
    Deadlift: 405x3. Focused on better lumbar extension, neutral cervical spine, taking the slack out of the bar before pulling. Aborted set during rep 4 rather than pull with completely rounded back.
    Dl

Thanks for your help,
    Matt

Your Squat descent is very vertical. Try to lean over right from the start. Ass back, nipples pointed at the floor. I would also ditch the tank top and wear a regular cotton T shirt

Press looks good. Unrack with both feet under the bar.

Deadlift - film more from the side next time but even from this angle I can see that you are going to have to take some weight off the bar and learn how to set your back better. This vid is a little more in depth and may help:

YouTube

Was gonna suggest a cotton t shirt as well. That bar doesn’t appear to have a center knurl either so it’s already gonna wanna move around on ya. Until I bought my own bar, my gym had one like that. Had to wrap a few laps of athletic tape around it to make a center knurl for better grip. Also, the dry fit type shirts are slippery too. All cotton is the way to go IMO

Thanks Ryan, Gb. None of the barbells here have central knurling. Will grab some tape and cotton Ts.

How much weight should I drop off my deadlift? 10%?

Only watched squat set 3:

Feet position looks better than before.

Keep wrists flat during the set.

„Knees out!“ on the way up.

Hips back right at the start of the descent.

Quote Originally Posted by O157H7 View Post
    Thanks Ryan, Gb. None of the barbells here have central knurling. Will grab some tape and cotton Ts.

How much weight should I drop off my deadlift? 10%?
    You need to start at a weight where you can set the back completely flat, ingrain the new technique so it sticks. This is tough without a coach and may take some time. I would literally film every set if you can and see how it looks(maybe not send them ALL to us though). Start at 135 and see how far you get. Maybe 135, 185, 225, 245, etc. Really tough to say

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    You need to start at a weight where you can set the back completely flat, ingrain the new technique so it sticks.
    Understood.

Thanks again Ryan and appreciate the input sawyer.