starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting in Front of Mirror - Cause of Depth Issues

Default Squatting in Front of Mirror - Cause of Depth Issues

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So as many of you know I’ve had some issues on previous post with my squad that. I currently go to commercial gym (Workout Anytime) and there is a mirror everywhere you look so when I first started coming to the gym I had the tendency to look at myself in the mirror. The issue with this is that I can always see the frontal plane of my body so it’s giving me incorrect feedback on my hip drive and depth. I think this may be the reason I am struggling with depth issues. Do you guys think that I should switch gyms, there are quite a few in my area? At the gym I go to now there’s only one squat rack and one bench, not including incline. Not to mention I went to the restroom during my rest break between squats and I came back to a big guy starting to take off my barbell collars and weights before I stopped him because he wanted to do curls. Then he proceeded to tell me to “speed it up” because I take 6-8 minute rest breaks and he needed to get his curls in at the squat rack. Anyways, is it time for a gym switch, been going here for a year?

Are you that handsome that you can't not look at yourself in the mirror? You can't give yourself a target to look at or just tell yourself "don't look at the GD mirror Brody!"?

Sounds like you need to change gyms regardless of mirror issues.

Find a black iron gym or powerlifting focused gym with good bars and a focus on the main lifts. You'll probably encounter a new set of issues, but at least you'll get done what you need to.

Squatting in front of a mirror always messed me up for some reason.

I just have a terrible habit of looking in the mirrors to see how the rep looks. It’s gonna be hard breaking that habit if there’s always a mirror right in front of me. I need to start looking around for other gyms. I do know of a phenomenal gym, but it’s 30 minutes away. Is it worth the drive 3 days/week?

If only someone had addressed this mirror thing. Maybe in a book.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brody_G View Post
    I just have a terrible habit of looking in the mirrors to see how the rep looks. It’s gonna be hard breaking that habit if there’s always a mirror right in front of me. I need to start looking around for other gyms. I do know of a phenomenal gym, but it’s 30 minutes away. Is it worth the drive 3 days/week?
    If you can't find something to block the mirror, then yes. Or give yourself something else to stare at.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If only someone had addressed this mirror thing. Maybe in a book.
    I thought you were just talking about the ugly people.