starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat: YouTube

Biggest things I can see on myself are I'm coming forward just a little at the bottom, and when I drive my hips up to go up, it's like I'm pushing my butt back at the same time which shifts my weight back a little, and my chest isn't perfectly in-sync. I think lifting my chest up more on the way up will solve this, as well as not bouncing forward at the bottom.

What cues should I be keeping in mind here?

Deadlift: YouTube

I know I'm shifting around way too much and waiting too long between reps on some of these. I think my lower back could be just a little tighter too. Anything else?

Hey Spartan,

Squat - You need to get your knees in place sooner and keep them there. Your hips are moving back first, which causes the knees to move forward throughout the rep, which is what is getting you out of sync. And you actually need to keep your chest down more, not lift it more. So basically, lean over more, keep your chest down, and drive your hips up the whole way.

Deadlift - You are correct - need to focus more on arching your low back hard. Otherwise good

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Hey Spartan,

Squat - You need to get your knees in place sooner and keep them there. Your hips are moving back first, which causes the knees to move forward throughout the rep, which is what is getting you out of sync. And you actually need to keep your chest down more, not lift it more. So basically, lean over more, keep your chest down, and drive your hips up the whole way.

Deadlift - You are correct - need to focus more on arching your low back hard. Otherwise good
    Thank you!

So, how do I set my knees in position faster while simultaneously pushing my butt towards the wall enough to prevent knee slide and prevent a back angle that's too vertical? Those are the two issues I've had when trying to get synched up in the past, on some reps I was almost doing a high bad squat. What cues should I be thinking of?

On the deadlift, I try to set my lower back as hard as I can but I feel like I have to set my hips a tad lower while also squeezing my chest up to make it happen like it should. Not sure if my belt is interfering in some way there.

For me, I try to get my knees in place during the first part of the descent and only focus on the hips and back angle after that. This actually gets your knees and hips moving in concert even though you're not thinking about your hips at the time.

Ryan may have other advice.

Squat:
    Just try to do both at the same time. Hips back and bend the knees. Practice it during the warmup sets (film these sets too) and get used to the feeling when it looks right.

Deadlift:
    Try looking up a bit more and see if that makes it easier to set your back. Avoid lowering the hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
    Thank you!

So, how do I set my knees in position faster while simultaneously pushing my butt towards the wall enough to prevent knee slide and prevent a back angle that's too vertical? Those are the two issues I've had when trying to get synched up in the past, on some reps I was almost doing a high bad squat. What cues should I be thinking of?

On the deadlift, I try to set my lower back as hard as I can but I feel like I have to set my hips a tad lower while also squeezing my chest up to make it happen like it should. Not sure if my belt is interfering in some way there.
    Squat - think about making your knees bend first, before your hips - and at the same time PUSH YOUR BUTT BACK MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED TO AND LEAN OVER MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU NEED TO. I think you probably just have a vision in your head of knees/squat/vertical and you just need to break the pattern.

Deadlift - Think about pushing your belly between your knees when you get your squeeze.

I tried to keep those cues in mind tonight, I think reps 2 and 4 were my best on squat. 5 was a little ugly.

Squat: YouTube

I think I did better on deadlifts tonight, but I could tell I was definitely losing tightness in my lower back on the last two reps. Should I stay at this weight or deload a little before trying to keep progressing?

Deadlift: YouTube

Squat: You can narrow your stance a tad. Squat still needs more hip drive. Drive your butt up FIRST as soon as you get below parallel. You are still lifting your chest out of the hole. Exaggerate the motion more.

Deadlift: Better. Keep focusing on the squeeze. No need to take weight off the bar

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Squat: You can narrow your stance a tad. Squat still needs more hip drive. Drive your butt up FIRST as soon as you get below parallel. You are still lifting your chest out of the hole. Exaggerate the motion more.

Deadlift: Better. Keep focusing on the squeeze. No need to take weight off the bar
    Will do, thanks a ton