starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check: bad beat edition

Default Squat form check: bad beat edition

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Previous Session thread
    What a fucked up workout; both discouraging and infuriating. Here is one of today's work sets:
    Set 2 I have the first set and warmups if you need to see those too. Set 1 is also only 4 reps.

I was told that my squats from a previous session 3rd set 2/24 have the best form of any I've posted and comparing them to today's, it looks like I had a slightly wider stance and did not shove my knees out as much during today's sets. Sometimes, including today, I struggle to trust that I'll stay balanced if I shove my knees out more/establish a more horizontal back angle, and then I fail to perform those parts to the extent you'd like to see.

Since unloading to get serious about fixing my form, I don't think I've had any failed reps and there was nothing about 330 to give me cause for concern about getting 335 for sets of 5, so should I simply attribute today to a technical failure?

My other lifts have continued to progress linearly & I've just changed over to a middle light day. "Yes." to all the 1st 3 Questions except for adequate sleep: I have been getting about 5-6 hrs/day for the last few months. It has gotten worse as I've gained weight and is especially shitty during the weeks my wife works (7 on/7/off schedule.)

Grateful for any help with this,
    Matt

Other than keeping the knees out the form is pretty solid. So this now becomes a programming/recovery issue. 5-6hrs sleep/night is um...not optimal. Is there a chance of this improving?

Looks to me like you are coming up through the chest a bit. Especially as the set goes on. Rep 1 is very good, but by rep 2 there is a hint of a peak up at the mirror; rep 3 is even more; and by rep 4 you are staring at yourself on the way up.

I feel your pain on the lack of sleep. I have had trouble sleeping for many years. Typical OTC remedies don't do a damn thing and I've even tried Ambien without much success as far as sleeping longer. Generic benadryl at least allows me to fall asleep though it doesn't help me sleep through the night, which is all the Ambien did as well.

I could try sleeping in our guest bedroom during the weeks she works. Or convince her to go to sleep earlier.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the feedback everyone