starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is my first post here, I went over the stickyed posts and noticed that I am throwing my head back, i will put a beanbag under my chin to fix that. The video angle isn't the best, on Friday i will record all three sets from the different angles.

The video is here: Third Set 3/4/20 - Album on Imgur

This is the third set. Thanks in advance

It looks like the bar is too high on your back (based on the movement of the bar as you squat), but even if you fix that, you need to keep your chest tighter.
    Think "show off my pecs" before you descend.

You should take a rear view video to see if your feet and knees are in the right position. It's hard to see from this angle, but I'd guess you're not driving your knees out enough. As a result, your knees are not inline with your feet.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Tuck the chin, knees out, stay with the midfoot and the hips on the way up, you're shooting back and pulling your knees back out of the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Brynn3000 View Post
    Tuck the chin, knees out, stay with the midfoot and the hips on the way up, you're shooting back and pulling your knees back out of the bottom.
    He's lifting his chin because the bar is rolling up his back. If he gets his chest proud and makes sure the bar is in the right position, he'll have no reason to lift the chin.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

I really hate this "proud chest" language. It means little in American English, and is a metaphor, not a descriptor. "Chest up" or "lift the chest" is a more direct piece of information.

That's a good point.

Why specifically American English? Is it more descriptive in British English?

I think it has a longer history of use there, so that the connotation is more obvious. Here, it's just a recent fad, like "whilst" or "amongst."

I've never had a client obviously misunderstand its usage whilst using it, but I do agree that it's a metaphor and, therefore, inherently weaker than a mechanically accurate cue.

starting strength coach development program
    3/6 squat - Album on Imgur

Ok so this is my set from yesterday. Its apparent that i need to do a better job keeping my chest up, especially on the third set. Any tips on keeping my knees from collapsing?