starting strength gym

Thread: Squat & Deadlift Check

Default Squat & Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Previous Squat Previous Deadlift
    Squat 335
    Aside from some extension of the c spine and slight thoracic flexion on the last rep of Set 3, I think these are relatively good. Knees could go further and I could do a better job of keeping them stable thereafter. Am I on the right track or missing something?
    Set 3 Set 1

Deadlift: realized I accidentally loaded 390 rather than 400. Think I did not achieve acceptable lumbar extension, but I struggle to tell with the belt on. On the plus side, while working back up I've been able to do all my work sets with a hook grip and completely abandon the safety blanket of the mixed grip. I think my previous best with hook was only 365.
    Work set
    Thanks for any feedback

Squat:

1) Raise the spotter arms 1 notch.
    2) It looks like when you are getting your breath between each rep that you are kind of trying to stand tall or something and getting into a little bit of lumbar overextension, which is leading to things being a little too loose, as well as some lumbar flexion to compensate on some of the reps. When you get your breath in between reps, just stand normally. Don't move your body. Think about getting your breath in a way you would if someone was about to punch you in the stomach.

Deadlift:

Film from maybe 20 degrees in front of a direct side view next time. I want to see what your knees are doing. Its possible you need to push them out a little more at the bottom which usually helps set the back. Think about pushing your belly between your knees when you get your squeeze

Relevant:

YouTube

Also try to pay attention to your depth more when squatting. A few of those reps looked high, in both sets.