starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I posted here earlier but was informed that I needed to read the "before you post" sticky. I've fixed the issue from the previous post and think my camera angle is better. Any tips on my form would be appreciated.

Heres the set:

YouTube

Just from experience, I know I need to work on upper body tightness and my grip. I need to start working on my shoulder mobility which should allow me to get a better grip, and improve overall tightness.

Also, over the past few weeks as the weight has gone up I've noticed some pain in my glutes while squating. It kinda feels like a painful stretch when I squeeze my glutes near the top of the squat. It got to the point where I wasn't able to finish the following deadlift set because my glutes were shot. I took a break from squatting/dl for a week to see if it would fix itself. I didn't notice it today but I want to figure it out incase it pops up again. Thanks.

I am no expert but I noticed 2 things: You should sit back more while going down. Also, you should get squat shoes - your ankles are collapsing inwards at the bottom.

Lift your chest and bend over more, get your knees out harder, and drive your hips more.
    Your elbows are coming up because your upper back isn't tight, so you're compensating. Lifting the chest should fix this.

Buy some squat shoes.

I don't know what to tell you about your glute pain.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Ok thanks for the tips guys. Would jamming my knees out more fix my ankles at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonG View Post
    Ok thanks for the tips guys. Would jamming my knees out more fix my ankles at the bottom?
    Most probably, yes.

starting strength coach development program
    Unexplained random pains are sometimes a symptom of not eating enough calories for recovery