starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Previous thread is here. Elbows hitting thighs when squatting?

This is a deload. I initially took a week off from squatting per Ryan's advice due to the hip injury; then I ended up being away for the gym for 3 weeks for other reasons. So I worked up to conservatively heavy singles on all the lifts on Saturday and am basing my intensity/volume loading off those numbers (based on Andy Baker's article on layoffs). This is my top set at 305 for my first intensity day since being back. Sorry the rack is in the way. Only filmed the one set so I didn't have a chance to adjust the angle.

Two things that stand out are that I'm doing a better job of keeping the arms in line with the torso (wrists are still going into a slight extension out of the hole though), thus negating the elbows hitting the thighs from the previous thread, and also I've eliminated the head bob by putting a target on the floor to stare at. Other observations? So far the hip pain is only slight and not interfering with the movement. I guess I'll see how that shakes out over the next couple weeks as I ramp up the volume.

The Squats look decent from this angle. I really think you should wear a belt. I also think it would help a lot to fix the wrists/elbows. Are you able to keep the wrists straight and not let the elbows dip on lighter sets? It may help to raise the thumb side of your hand ever so slightly off the bar, like this:

Squat Grip.jpg

I can control the wrists better on the warmups, yeah. I will experiment with that grip adjustment. I think it's easier for me to do that with a slightly wider grip. Yesterday I was going about as narrow as I could because the bar feels more secure. The belt situation is being rectified...I was holding off because my brother was getting me one for my birthday, but he ended up ordering a 4" belt which I sent back. Ordering one from Dominion tomorrow. The other location I workout at has an old 3" belt that I use when I can and it seems to solve a lot of these issues.

Thanks, Ryan.