Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    3/9 Squat - Album on Imgur

These are my sets from Monday

Pretty sure the bar is too high on the first set

I know i throw my head back on a few i forgot to put a tennis ball under my chin

Im having trouble getting my grip right on the bar, it feels like im too close because i get shin splints near my elbow

Im also having trouble with shooting my butt up from the bottom, any tips on how to avoid that?

These issues are all because of the same problem; the bar probably isn't in the right spot and you're not keeping your chest up. Lift your chest up hard before you descend and KEEP that position even as you bend over.

Your hands are too high on the bar. The wrists should be straight and hands pressed against the bar, not on top of it. It looks like your hands are sitting on top of the bar with a bit of wrist over extension.

What's happening is that the bar is rolling forward so you're hesitating to drive your hips for fear that the bar will roll up, and as a result you're lifting your chin to try to keep the bar in place. At the same time, you're using your hands to hold the bar in place, and your elbows are getting part of the load.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

The middle set is the best shot of the bar position and it looks about right. Part of the issue is your wrist position, like Andrew mentioned. Your wrists like to sit flexed (bent forward) and this is when the elbows like to creep upward, helping the upper back to round. Get your wrists neutral to a hint of extension so you can keep the chest up and the elbows down.

Ok, thanks for the advice Andrew and Pete, ill get my hands neutral

Set the safety pins much higher. They’re there for... well safety. About one or two inches below your lowest squat position, not lower.

Buy real squat shoes with an elevated heel.

Try using liquid chalk for your hands AND for the bar. Put some of it on the middle part of the bar where the bar makes contact with your shirt, wait a minute and then get under the bar, find the right back and straight wrist position and squat. The bar will stick like glue to your shirt and not move around so much.

Consider widening your grip a little bit if it helps you getting the right correct flat wrist position.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Buy real squat shoes with an elevated heel.
    Looks like he's wearing Adidas powerlifters.

starting strength coach development program
    You´re right! Looked like chucks on my cell phone.