starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press Form Check

Default Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Third/final working set at 55kg

Get your chest up more and actually push your hips forward. With tight knees, butt, and abs, think about pushing your upper thighs forward.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I assume you walked that far back for the sake of the camera angle. Otherwise, one step back is sufficient. Turn your toes out more like your squat stance.
    Hips need to be snappier and more violent. Rather than throwing your shoulders back to get the rebound of the bar, squeeze your quads until they feel like they're going to cramp and try and reach your junk to the wall. Violently.
    If you bring your grip in a finger-width you'll be able to smash your triceps against your lats for the setup. A better connection there will help with the hip action on the bar.
    Don't forget to fix your wrists during the set. Just a slight bit of extension.

You are correct; the long walk backwards for solely for the camera.

Thanks for the remarkably quick response to my three form checks!

Work set at 122.5#.

I'm still not getting the hip thrust right. When I'm supporting the barbell, once my hips go forward, I feel like I can't get them to come back. There's no snappiness to it, just a feeling like my lower back is going to cave in on itself.

You need to squeeze your abs, knees, and butt like you're trying to make them cramp, then push your hips forward. Can you show us a video of you doing that without the bar? If you can't do it without the bar, you won't be able to do it with the bar.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Agree with Andrew on the abs and quads. I'm not a fan of clenching the butt at the start. I think it causes other issues.
    Move your point of reference for the hip action lower. Think about popping the tops of your quads forward. Then violently slam your chest forward as the bar passes your face.
    Lastly, keep the elbows forward of the bar a little longer than you think you need to and see if you can't drive it up along the mid-foot. Your weight looks like it's shifting around on your feet.

As requested, below is a video of me doing this without a barbell.

I did a few sets of this before picking one to upload. My quads were hurting after all this.

With quads, abs, and butt contracted, I haven't been sure what to fire to get the hip drive going. In this video, I tried firing my hamstrings. I feel like my shoulder were still going back too much, though.

If that last sentence seems strange: I'm not an athletically gifted person, and I tend to overthink things. I don't have much natural sense for athletic tasks.

Edit: (To Pete) What issues do you find it causes? Pelvic movement?
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 03-20-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Clarity

starting strength coach development program
    In that video of me with no barbell, it caused no issues, other than making my quads sore afterwards.

In the past, with weight in my arms, it's done odd things to my pelvis. Sometimes I'll tweak something, almost like I'm overextending one of my hip flexors, and it'll hurt to walk afterwards. Sometimes, I get some strange pain in my SI-joint areas, but maybe that's because I'm letting my abs so soft and my lower back flexes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast