starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Working set at 127kg. A triple, followed by two singles.

Please clip your videos at the start more.

Get your chest up more at the set up. You may need to think about dropping your belly below your thighs without moving your shoulders or butt.

Less important stuff:
    You're hanging out too long. After the first rep, take a big breath, set your chest and pull. Put it down. Big breath. Set your chest. Pull. Repeat. Sitting in the bottom this long is going to make it a lot harder to finish.
    Set the bar down faster. You have bumper plates. You should basically be dropping the bar, but without letting go of the bar. That's how fast it can be.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Hey John
    Your back set looked best on the 2nd rep. I think you could do with getting it flatter. Drop your belly to the bar and pull your chest up through your arms to point it at the wall. Watch that little bit of hip drop you had on the last rep when setting up. Don't let that become a habit.
    These need to be faster. The longer you hang out, bent over, thinking about how much they suck, the worse off you'll be. Put the bar down faster, get setup for the next rep sooner and pull. 3 minutes for a set of five is excessive and not really a set of five, so may be time to take a look at your programming if you can't string all reps together.
    Take off the knee sleeves to deadlift if you don't actually need them. It's just extra friction.

I was running "belly to the bar" and "chest up through arms" through my head before each of these reps, but something's still not working. I need someone in person to help me fix this. Assuming the lifting seminiar I signed up for doesn't get cancelled, that should help.

My programming is about to get shot. COVID restritions have closed all gyms in the city. I won't be able to go near a barbell for another two weeks.

Turns out my gym at work was still open today, so I got a workout in. Then, right after I finished, management sent around a memo saying they were closing the gym for the foreseeable future.

Dropped down to 255# for this set, also ditched my 4" belt in case that was causing an issue.

Looking at the video, I still don't think I'm getting my lower back set. There's some rounding right before the bar leaves the ground. I filmed all my warm-up sets, and it was happening on those as well. There's something I'm still missing even after trying to raise my chest up and get that last bit of lumbar extension. I feel like I'm exerting a lot of energy trying to set my back, but I don't see that coming through on video. Do I need to take a wider stance? Turn my feet out more? I need to practice more and figure this out.

Set your back better and your grip seems too wide.

I don't know how to set my back better. I'm exerting a lot of energy at the bottom trying to get my back set, but for some reason, it doesn't translate into actual back extension. Before this set, I reviewed previous comments on this thread, as well as a video from Nick Delgadillo on this exact issue. But I'm still missing something.

The "chest up" cue isn't helping me. "Belly to the floor" is problematic for me too. At some point, I start driving my knees out a lot to get the belly further down, but that leads to the wide grip.

I appreciate all the help on this. I'll try to fix this in a few weeks, once barbells are accessible again.

Have you done the "super man" exercise to get the feeling of lower back control?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Set your back better
    Come on, dude.

John
    When you set the back are you getting all of the "slack" out of the bar and your arms? When you do your first warm-up, is the bar starting to float off the ground just from you lifting the chest to set the back? When you lift the chest and get the back into extension, you should "feel" most of the weight in your hands and your arms want to rip out of your shoulders. Head over to our YouTube channel and just search "slack" in the videos. There's a video you might find helpful.

Also, stop exhaling until you get the bar back down to the floor.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 03-20-2020 at 10:54 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Reviewing my warm up videos from this day: no, I was not getting the "float" prior to pulling. I've done this successfully in the past, and I actually reviewed another video on this issue prior to this workout.......but I forgot all that at crunch time, I guess.

It's a lot to remember, and I'm underestimating the level of preparation I need to make prior to initiating the actual deadlift pull, it seems. Looks like it'll be May before I get access to a barbell again. In the meantime, I'll find a way to practice the "float"/taking the slack out. My wife rented a 40kg sandbag from her CF gym while they're closed down, so maybe I can put that to use. I'll also go back and review the relevant sections of the blue book and double down on doing the "super man" exercise some more. I thought I had that down pat already, but I guess not.

Once I can get back in a gym, I'll make a series of vocal cues for myself to listen to before my first rep.

Thanks again for all the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast