starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat: YouTube

I'm trying to lean over more and drive my hips straight up instead of back and up, but I feel like my bar path isn't perfectly vertical and that I'm in danger of going into a good morning on a couple of these. I also know that I wasn't *quite* hitting depth on some reps. It is a new and wider belt than I'm used to, maybe that's part of the issue.

Deadlift: YouTube

I don't think I'm setting my lower back quite hard enough and I find it a little difficult to brace my abs as hard as I think I should while bent over. Plus the bar kept slipping a little out of my grip at this weight. This set felt like the hardest set I've done in a long time.

Especially the squats look fine to me.

Use more chalk for the deadlift if you’re not already doing that. The next option would be a hook grip. Which hurts pretty badly if you‘ve never done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Especially the squats look fine to me.

Use more chalk for the deadlift if you’re not already doing that. The next option would be a hook grip. Which hurts pretty badly if you‘ve never done it before.
    Can't use chalk in my gym unfortunately. It's on a military base.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
    Can't use chalk in my gym unfortunately. It's on a military base.
    Sneak in some liquid chalk. If you get caught, just eat it and deny.

Narrow your squat stance about an inch on either side. Get the hips and knees to break at the same time.

Pick a spot about 10 feet out for the deadlift to stare at and keep your eyes locked there. Make sure that "rock back off my toes and onto midfoot" is part of your pre-flight checklist for every rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Sneak in some liquid chalk. If you get caught, just eat it and deny.

Narrow your squat stance about an inch on either side. Get the hips and knees to break at the same time.

Pick a spot about 10 feet out for the deadlift to stare at and keep your eyes locked there. Make sure that "rock back off my toes and onto midfoot" is part of your pre-flight checklist for every rep.
    Lol, the old admit nothing, deny everything, and make counter-accusations trick?

Will do the other stuff and report back. Thanks.

Also, not sure if you could tell from the video but the deadlift is starting to feel really heavy. I'm getting enough protein but I can only eat for weight maintenance at the moment. My sleep is okay. I'm about 6 weeks into the program. Is it time to start power cleaning or rowing?

To find out if it's heavy, click here.

A lack of chalk and struggling grip will make it seem tougher than it needs to be. It doesn't look like you're hook gripping here. Bar is still moving pretty well. With a change to a more secure grip (and straps later on if you absolutely have to train here and there's no way you can use chalk) you probably have another 1-3 weeks before you'll need to change to power cleans. Are you adding 5lbs every workout?

To find out if it's heavy, click here.

A lack of chalk and struggling grip will make it seem tougher than it needs to be. It doesn't look like you're hook gripping here. Bar is still moving pretty well. With a change to a more secure grip (and straps later on if you absolutely have to train here and there's no way you can use chalk) you probably have another 1-3 weeks before you'll need to change to power cleans. Are you adding 5lbs every workout?
    Nope, not hook gripping. That session was actually the first time I ever tried a switch grip, just wanted to see how it felt.

Yeah, this is really the only place I can train, at least for now. I'll see if I can't get away with some liquid chalk though.

Yep, 5 pounds a workout. Keeps feeling harder and harder to do on the deadlift though, and the upper body lifts.

At 6 weeks, you may be ready to take smaller, 2.5lbs jumps on the upper body.
    6 weeks of straight deadlifting is tough for a lot of people. But I think the way the bar is moving you may be able to squeeze a little more out of it. I misread what you said about calories being on maintenance earlier.
    What's your height and weight?

At 6 weeks, you may be ready to take smaller, 2.5lbs jumps on the upper body.
    6 weeks of straight deadlifting is tough for a lot of people. But I think the way the bar is moving you may be able to squeeze a little more out of it. I misread what you said about calories being on maintenance earlier.
    What's your height and weight?
    About 5'11 and 205 lbs, 37 inch waist

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan040 View Post
    About 5'11 and 205 lbs, 37 inch waist
    Yeah, I stand by first thoughts on your deadlift. Neither your squat or deadlift slow down appreciably. Keep going.