starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey,
    I’ve just recently completed NLP and started a 3 day TM, even though I’m looking at changing to a 4 day version from next week.
    My current stats are M 36, 5’5’, 182ibs, eat 5000 calories per day, 7 hrs sleep per night.
    I managed to finish my NLP with a deadlift 180kg x 5. I wasn’t pleased as I can see spinal flexion.
    YouTube

I’m including a few different DL videos here for reference.

I was away for a week so reset 5% to 170kg

YouTube

And today I attempted 175kg but only managed 2 reps.

YouTube

I made an effort to slow down the reps as I have noticed I do them as quickly as I can without resorting to bouncing. This for whatever reason helps me, maybe due to an immediate stretch reflex?
    I also hook grip my sets, but this set just didn’t work out.
    Anyway I’m not sure if form is my problem for failing? Or is it just too heavy for me and I need to reset and slow down?

Thanks

Hey Martini,

Not sure why you failed 175. First two reps moved fine. Why would you move away from the hook grip? Your self assessment is correct though. You need to slow down the reps enough in order to reset the Squeeze at the bottom. More attention to keeping your back flat as well. You can think about pushing your belly between your knees when you get your breath.

Stop deadlifting in running shoes. Notice how your feet rock back and forth? This will make things more unstable/harder. Get some weight lifting shoes. Or flat sole shoes. This will prob help .

Thanks Ryan,
    Looking back I'm not sure why I failed either to be honest, because I agree the first two reps didn't look hard so that's why I question my technique. Yes I do like the belly cue but wasn't thinking of it when I did this set.

I can see my feet rocking, thanks Ryan. It's weird because I'm not lifting in running shoes, they're converse flat shoes. Still I can look into shoes designed specifically for weight lifting. Assuming my shoes are not the problem, is it just a technique issue? Maybe bare foot is better until I get new shoes?

starting strength coach development program
    Actually I just compared my converse all star shoes I own to the shoes I'm wearing in the video and the heel is definitely raised whereas my all stars are flat. Wow silly me for not noticing.