starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form check (rounded back)

Default Deadlift Form check (rounded back)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yesterday I did tried doing 1 set of 5 reps for Deadlift at 170kg (375lb), however I did 2 reps and stopped as I felt my back was rounded. I then rested for a bit and attempted to try to get 3 reps, My first rep felt like my back was set (but it was round) and I started my second rep and felt my back unset and so I stopped the set (was kind of frustrated) and I then rested a few minutes and did 5 reps at 120kg to see if my form was better with light weight, but it was not.

170kg Deadlift - YouTube
    120kg Deadlift - YouTube

These aren't filmed from the correct angle, so the feedback will be limited. Reference the sticky for next time.

You're not getting all of the "slack" out of the bar when you set your back. I don't know why you keep looking around before you pull, but stop that.

You're also pulling around your knees as you dip your hips to get the bar broken off the ground.

Set the back harder where the bar is bending upward and the arms feel like they're going to tear off, then break the bar off the ground by starting to straighten the knees.

Thanks heaps for the feedback, I will try to apply what you have said, also I will film from a better angle.

I decided I would do 110kg for 2 reps for some form practise and critique. My back feels straighter, I was focusing on getting the slack out of the bar and pushing my stomach out. However it seems like my hips are slightly dipping is this bad, or is it just because I'm pulling the slack out of the bar? Also I kind of struggle to get my back set from the bottom, probably because of my short torso but I found setting my back a lot easier with that set.

Sorry forgot to include link to the lift. Also is the camera angle optimal?
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    These aren't filmed from the correct angle, so the feedback will be limited. Reference the sticky for next time.

You're not getting all of the "slack" out of the bar when you set your back. I don't know why you keep looking around before you pull, but stop that.

You're also pulling around your knees as you dip your hips to get the bar broken off the ground.

Set the back harder where the bar is bending upward and the arms feel like they're going to tear off, then break the bar off the ground by starting to straighten the knees.
    Please explain why this camera angle is not correct. Never understood it and think it’s quite useful (at least if it’s not the only angle) because it’s the only angle where you really can see the back angle and the bar path.

So isn’t it really a helpful angle to film from if you have the other angles too?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
    Please explain why this camera angle is not correct. Never understood it and think it’s quite useful (at least if it’s not the only angle) because it’s the only angle where you really can see the back angle and the bar path.

So isn’t it really a helpful angle to film from if you have the other angles too?
    I'd like a better shot of the shin angle. I want to see what he's doing with his feet. Are his toes forward or turned out?
    Where is the bar relative to midfoot? It's a better total picture and I can still see what his back is doing.