starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check

Default Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube

I look down on the descent to establish drop location for the next rep. Was presented as a tip in the SS podcast. I find it incredibly helpful. Has reduced my rep to rep variation significantly.

Please point out any other concerns.

Ah!!! figured out how to embed.

Youtube keeps blocking my vid

Reposted without any audio

YouTube

Hey Cooker. Not bad.
    Rather than trying to blend steps 4 and 5 together, I'd like to see you get the back set hard first then initiate the pull off the ground. Separate the two and I think you'll find you'll get the back set harder.

Hey Pete.
    Thanks for the help. This was the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I incorporated your suggestion into my latest workset. I now find the new sequencing very awkward, and still trying to sort it out and get used to it. Might have to play with the order of things, as it feels a bit unnatural.

In my posted form I breath and set and pull in a fluid motion.

I am trying to break this up, and i find if I Breath->set->pull I feel like I am starved of O2 and it feels harder.

If I Set->Breath->Pull I find I can't get as deep of breath, so a weaker overall brace.

Is there a correct/better sequence?

I would post again, but with all the new thought processes I noticed that my lockout was a bit weak. Will post again when I sort that part out.

Thanks again for the help.

Each step needs to be separate, but it shouldn't take that long that you're starved of oxygen. You could try breathing and setting at the same time. Taking the breath isn't its own step.

Thanks for the help. I guess I miss-spoke earlier regarding O2 and meant increased fatigue by taking longer.

I have practiced the new setup a few workouts and I find that the extra attention of "rewriting" my mental cues slows down my old tempo. I am sure it will get back to where it was once I commit the changes to muscle memory.

Anyway I wanted to post this and get conformation that this is positive change. I only got 3.5 reps so I didn't want to post as a form check in itself. I really didn't like the feeling on that 4th rep so I cut it short. I'll grind out presses and squats, but figured I'd play it safe on the DL.

starting strength coach development program
    Just noticed this, but I'd pull in some sort of shoe. Even if it's a flat with something you can use as a landmark to get setup to the bar consistently.
    The back setting looks a bit better, but I'd like to see even more slack pulled out of the bar like you did later in the set. The bar should visibly bend upward just from you lifting the hell out of your chest and contracting all of the spinal erectors.
    Now, you need to stop dropping the hips right as you pull and pulling the bar around your knees. The deadlift gets broken off the ground by the quads, so the knees extend first.
    Think about it this way...when setting the back, use the bar to image you're trying to drive your feet into the ground. If you're doing it hard enough, you should feel pressure across the whole, flat foot. Then break the bar off the ground by pushing the ground away with your feet. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Also, you had it in the tank to pull the 4th and a 5th rep. Your grip just gave out.