starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check

Default squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there Rip and coaches...
    Just starting back after not having access to weights for a few weeks. I saw this coming after chain gym closed! Ordered some weights and a rack...starting back at 135lbs at body weight of about 175lbs at 5'9. I apologize in advance as I did not edit the video during my set up...I should have cut some business off before the set was not having much luck with edit tool.... Promise to do it next time... will figure it out.
    Any advice is much appreciated...

Thank you
    TC
    YouTube

Hey Tom
    I actually liked the little jig you danced right before your first rep. Maybe some tap-dancing next time?
    You got some long femurs there, bud. You need to get leaned over sooner and get the hips back so the knees stop traveling forward about half way down.
    Keep your knees out as you come out of the bottom and drive the hips straight up rather than back.

Thank you...ha..yes I have noticed I do this jiggling around with my feet before reps...will work on stopping that...lol But could also add in a few dance moves too...lol
    Thank you for tips....ok well I am wondering how to best put into effect....I guess just try and do what you said....lol lean over sooner and hips back then straight up.....ok will try today....also wondering should I use tebow ..placed in front of knees? Would that help? I have used on and off through self coaching. I also find looking down about 2 feet instead of farther out helps me lean forward more... sooner.....? ..but sometimes this causes me to lose depth...man....why is the squat so damn hard??!! lol
    Much appreciated...thank you so much
    TC

You're really not that far off. It's a little more lean over/hips back on the way down and not let the knees and hips shoot back on the way up. You'll be fine.

Happy Easter! Hello Pete! I just want to say a very big thank you! Just what you told me to do....seemed to work so well! I couldn't believe how good and how different the squat felt after applying what you said I needed to do!!! THANKYOU!!! Bar path felt more centered..and felt more powerful coming out of hole! I felt like I was leaning too far forward at first...but when I looked at my self video of the set...did not look so! I guess this is why you are a coach!!
    I hope its ok if I post one of my squat sets again and my deadlift too as even after reading over and over again the blue book...something feels off in my dead technique...
    PS thank you for noticing my long femurs...lol no one has noticed this before or just never said anything.... was always trying to make my squat look like my buddy who I sometimes lift with who is 5'3 inches tall and built like a short gorilla and always out lifts me!...lol
    Cheers...

starting strength coach development program
    No problem. I'm glad it worked.
    We'll take a look at your deadlift. Just make sure to check out the filming guidelines in the sticky and start a new thread for it.
    I hope you at least out-deadlift your friend.