starting strength gym

Thread: Squat bar position and bleeding

Default Squat bar position and bleeding

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had posted before about sores I get on my back from squatting. I took 6 weeks off and on the first day back I'm already getting sores again. For some unknown reason it's much more severe on my left side. Someone had suggested that the bar may be sliding around on my back and I should fix my bar position. Here's a video to illustrate my bar position. I had to go out of the rack backwards to get good lighting. I am currently squatting 130 kg for working sets and in this video I am doing 70 kg.

YouTube

Do you normally train naked?

Yes and that's one of the main reasons I had to get a home gym.

Well, okay.

May have to wear thicker shirt when you squat. Or get your training partner to put some first aid tape over the sore spot before you train.
    Either way, I'd adjust your grip. You'll have a better time getting into position if you don't start with your hands so narrow. Widen the grip, get the bar in position, then walk the hands in. Also, you're wrists are way over-extended and are under the bar rather than behind it. Widen your grip so your wrists are more neutral. Sometimes, with the hands under the bar, the bar will get shoved up while you squat. May or may not be the source of your irritation.

Have you tried using a bar with center knurl and wearing a shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    May have to wear thicker shirt when you squat.
    Pete, he doesn't wear ANY shirt when he trains. Stop wasting your time here.

I wear a shirt when I train. It's a heavy cotton work shirt. I only made this video shirtless to get a clear view of the bar position and where the abrasions line up with the bar.

Thanks, Pete. I will try tape and maybe a sweatshirt. Although it's 95 degrees and humid so it will all get soaking wet real fast. I will try to fix my grip. I think it's normally a little better when I come out of the rack backwards as normal. Here's a video of my most recent work set:

YouTube

And I actually did want a center knurling bar but this is all that was available. So I'm stuck with it for a while.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Pete, he doesn't wear ANY shirt when he trains. Stop wasting your time here.
    I was just about to ask if he had a subscription service for his training cam show.

You definitely need to get the hands behind the bar instead of under the bar. Also, get some lifting shoes and narrow your stance and lean over more. When you fix the grip you'll be more confident in leaning over because it won't feel like you're going to shove the bar up your back.
    In the meantime, put a piece of athletic tape around the center of the bar to create some friction for the shirt and help keep it from sliding around.