starting strength gym

Thread: Bar Placement Squat Form Check

Default Bar Placement Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This is me struggling under 200lbs. I am experiencing some shoulder pain that I think was caused by me carrying the bar too low on my back. The attached video is my attempt to raise the bar a little bit (no pun intended). Have I been successful or is this an over-correction? I was able to complete that set without pain in my shoulder, though some damage was done previously such that my bench press and overhead press is really suffering. Any thoughts/criticisms welcome.

P.S. I filmed it from above because I'm specifically interested in where I'm holding the bar and in my hand/wrist position.

Can you put up a video from a normal, but higher angle? Initially it looks ok, but it starts moving on the last rep and I want to see something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Initially it looks ok, but it starts moving on the last rep...
    Wow, you're totally right. I'll post later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Can you put up a video from a normal, but higher angle? Initially it looks ok, but it starts moving on the last rep and I want to see something.
    Welp. This is pretty ugly, but I'm at the point where I need to hear what I'm doing wrong if I'm going to progress. For context I was "successful" at 195 lbs. (i.e. was able to complete the three worksets at that weight), but at the cost of injuring my left shoulder and elbow because the bar was too low (both of which are markedly better now). I then changed my technique by moving the bar up on my back a little, bumping up my weight to 200lbs., barely getting through the first set in the first video, and now here failing even to complete one set. My program leading up to this was as follows:
    45x5
    95x5
    135x5
    160x5
    185x2
    200x5(x5)(x5)

I suspect that I will need to back the weight back down again and build it back up making sure the bar is in the right place.

P.S. weightlifting shoes are in the budget for next month as I know some of you will immediately notice that.

- Bar seems too high on your back

- Widen your stance. Shoulder width

- Feet more out. About 30 degrees

- Shove your knees out and keep them out during the rep

- Buy squat shoes

- Don’t go this deep. Slightly below parallel is enough

- Back seems to be too loose

Summary: Read the book 😀

Thanks for the feedback! Do you think the bar is too high even in the first video?

Hard to tell from above. Not sure.

Have you watched Nick Delgadillo's video on our YouTube channel about how to find the correct spot for the bar? Despite the fact that Nick is in it, it's pretty solid.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks! I’ll check it out.