starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat 165x5 and DL 180x5 Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Every rep of both of these sets show the same bar speed. Limit reps slow down, cause they're heavy. These are not heavy.
    Fair enough Rip, thanks. Likely just my perception.

Is my form ok? Ie, angles, hip drive, staying tight in the hole, etc? Anything I need to remedy?

Hey Ben
    Yeah, these aren't close to a limit, so you've got some runway.

With the squat, you're squatting on your heels and likely why things don't feel balanced. You can see the toes come up subtly right before you hit the bottom. If you focus on staying balanced on midfoot through the movement, you'll figure out the correct back angle. So, descend on midfoot and lean over a bit more.

Deadlift's not bad. Make sure you rock back to midfoot before you set the back for each rep. Be a little more patient between setting the back and the pull.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey Ben
    Yeah, these aren't close to a limit, so you've got some runway.

With the squat, you're squatting on your heels and likely why things don't feel balanced. You can see the toes come up subtly right before you hit the bottom. If you focus on staying balanced on midfoot through the movement, you'll figure out the correct back angle. So, descend on midfoot and lean over a bit more.

Deadlift's not bad. Make sure you rock back to midfoot before you set the back for each rep. Be a little more patient between setting the back and the pull.
    Thanks Pete, much appreciated. 180 felt better than 175 staying on mid-foot -- even with a decent sunburn on my shoulders...

I'll follow up once I get the weight to a more respectable level for my size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12