starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat 165x5 and DL 180x5 Check Please

Default Squat 165x5 and DL 180x5 Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    38/5’9”/185lb. I’ve gained 20lb since last June and taken my SQ from 105 to mid/upper 100s. DL has stayed in the upper 100s with some brief time in the low 200s. Yes I know, this is horrendous for training this long, but I’m naturally incredibly weak with SQ and DL and have debilitating low back spasms. I cannot consistently get out of the 100s no matter how much I eat/train/do everything I’m supposed to do. (Bench and Press are fine. Mid 200s and high 100s, respectively.)

Wondering if I can’t get some form feedback:

SQ: 3rd work set, 165x5 on 4/28
    YouTube

DL: workset, 180x5 on 4/30
    YouTube

Please check out the sticky at the top of the forum for filming angles so we can get you sorted out.

My fault; got ahead of myself. Next time I have a cameraman I’ll get the right angles.

If you're able to just lean it against something at the right angles, that's fine. Just need to see more so we can give you something useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    If you're able to just lean it against something at the right angles, that's fine. Just need to see more so we can give you something useful.
    Pete, here’s tonight’s workout. Hope the angles work. Felt the squat more in my glutes and hamstrings than I usually do—I think that’s a good thing? Also, low back is a bit sore and left IT band has some pain. One of my issues is the corkscrewing. I have no idea why I’m doing that. The other is I can’t seem to hit depth without some posterior pelvic tilt. Thanks in advance.

5/5 3rd workset @ 170
    YouTube

5/5 185x5
    YouTube

Squat: Lean over sooner and more and use a little more Hip Drive out of the bottom.

Deadlift: Set the back a little better. Lift the chest and really pull the back straight before each rep.

Let's narrow the stance just a little. You're on the edge of being wide and I think it would benefit you to get it in about half an inch on either side so you can keep the knees out.
    Give us a bit more angle on the video next time.
    Like Sawyer said, get leaned over sooner and send your ass back away from your feet.

For the deadlift, rock back off your toes and on to mid-foot before you get set.

Let's narrow the stance just a little. You're on the edge of being wide and I think it would benefit you to get it in about half an inch on either side so you can keep the knees out.
    Like Sawyer said, get leaned over sooner and send your ass back away from your feet.

For the deadlift, rock back off your toes and on to mid-foot before you get set.
    Much appreciated gentlemen. Will do. Squatting again tomorrow; I'll repost.

That angle was a high as well. I think I may have been an inch or two too deep.

I tried making the changes you suggested. I don’t know how much more I can lean over without tipping over or flexing my T-spine. Something still feels off with the squat. I can’t seem to anchor my knees half way down. They keep flexing the whole descent in order for me to hit depth. Must be why I don’t have as much hamstring tension as I should.

I honestly don’t know how you all squat hundreds of pounds. 175 was really hard with 5 minute rests—like 50/50 that I was going to be able to stand back up. I don’t know now much more I can increase - maybe 5-10 pounds tops.

5/12 DL 195x5
    YouTube

5/12 SQ 175x5 3rd set
    YouTube

Thanks in advance.

starting strength coach development program
    Every rep of both of these sets show the same bar speed. Limit reps slow down, cause they're heavy. These are not heavy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast