starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check Please

Default Deadlift Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Please let me know how my deadlift is. When I deadlift it feels like my lower spine is going to pop out. I don't think this is normal. Please help as I would like to continue deadlifting. Thank you.

YouTube

Pain lower to mid back and I feel it most when I am lifting the bar off ground. Once I get the bar passed my knees I don't really notice it anymore. This is the only video I have right now. Gyms are closed so I won't be able to get a video in landscape mode for quite some time. Thank you.

Also need a work set of 5 reps. Do you have anything with more than one rep?

Pete,

Thank you for responding. Gyms finally opened back up in FL and I was able to get two clips. One set of 5 with light weight and a second set of 5 with heavier weight. Let me know what you think. THANK YOU.

YouTube

New video with 5 reps - thank you
    YouTube

Did someone tell you to "put your scaps in your back pockets"? (I hate that cue). Simply lift the chest up to start getting the back set and get all of the slack out of your arms and the bar. At the same time, drop your junk between your legs. That will get the back in there right position.
    Your hips shoot up first and then the chest follows. Both should move at the same time. When you set the back properly and get all of the slack out of the system, it will clean some of that up.
    Then when you're ready to pull, push the floor away with your feet.
    Also, don't deadlift in squishy running shoes. Do it in your lifting shoes or flats with a non-compressible sole.
    Where in Florida are you?

Thanks for the advice Pete. I haven't heard of that cue that you mentioned. I think what you're referring to is when I contract my lats just before the lift by trying to "wrap the barbell around my legs"? I'll try the tips you shared next time and see if that works. I have noticed my hips raising before my chest. I will focus on that as well. I am in Bonita Springs - close to Naples area.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by fpmacias View Post
    Thanks for the advice Pete. I haven't heard of that cue that you mentioned. I think what you're referring to is when I contract my lats just before the lift by trying to "wrap the barbell around my legs"?
    No problem. Yeah, I figured it was something like that. We wan't the extensors on both sides of the spine to contract when we're talking about "setting the back".

I don't think I'll be in Naples any time soon unfortunately.