starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check, missed reps

Default squat form check, missed reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello strength trainees.

I posted a video here two weeks ago: squat form check. The advice I got was to not move my ass back and forth. I don't know why I do that, but I think it was related the knee sliding forward at the bottom, because in the 3rd set, I shoved my knees out more at the bottom to reduce forward slide of the knees and it worked, and my ass goes more vertical now. And when a repetition gets really hard I forget about paying attention to my body and can only think about squatting the weight up, and I get wobbly, and also my form is inconsistent, so I am REALLY hoping I can get some more useful advice this time.

For you imperial system weirdos (which is all of you) 109kg is 240lb and 106.5 is 235lb. Approximately.

Today's sets (I think my form was the best in the 3rd set, but I included set 1 and 2 in case you want to see that as well):
    squat set 1 109kg, missed 5th rep
    squat set 2 106.5, completed 5 reps
    I added back 2.5kg because I thought it'd be better to miss a 5th rep at 109 than to do 5 reps at 106.5. Form was going to be shitty no matter what the weight, and I wanted to try to get 5 reps with 109. I also tried shoving my knees out more when hitting the bottom
    squat set 3 109kg, missed 5th rep

I'm going to upload every squat set from now on until I get it right, while implementing tips I get from you guys, and only train when there is enough daylight to record myself. Form is becoming a serious issue. I've been looking through the squat threads here and trying to learn from the advice that is given.

Cheers.

Hey gin
    Please buy some weightlifting shoes. You'd benefit a lot from the investment.
    The bar is too high on your back. Get it lower and under the spine of the scaps so it's secure and you can lean over. Lowering the bar and leaning over more will help to correct the knees sliding forward. Check out Nick Delgadillo's video about bar placement on our YouTube channel. Fix the bar position and you'll find most of the other things you've been working on may be fixed quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by gin69 View Post
    I'm going to upload every squat set from now on until I get it right,
    Upload where? Here?

There's a lot going on there.

Get your eye gaze on a spot about 5 ft (1.6m) in front of you. You're looking straight down and rounding over as you hit the hole. Think tight back, big chest as you brace before your descent. You're also losing tension in bottom. Brace hard and hold that tension throughout the lift. A belt would help a lot with that. Take about 10 kilos off the bar an try again.