starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift form check

Default Squat and Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squat set 2: YouTube
    Squat set 3: YouTube

Cotton shirt- check. Ups says belt comes today. Those are adidas powerlifts. Squats start at 35 and 45 seconds respectively, i was trying to find the sweet spot and it took me a while.

Deadlift: YouTube

Hey Ted
    The bar looks high to me but tough to tell from this angle for certain. Does it start to roll up your back when you lean over?
    You need to keep your knees pinned out and lean over from the start. Then, don't lift the chest so soon. Stay driving the hips.
    These need to be much faster.

It does look high, but it felt ok when i was doing them. The bar rolled up a little, i have this bad habit of ‘getting out of my hips’ by straightening my legs out first which causes me to round my back and the bar to roll forward. I have been trying to not do this by pushing my knees out, driving with the hips, and keeping my upper back in flexion. Obviously i still need to work on this as my knees are still collapsing and it looks like on some of them i didnt lean over enough.

When i look at the 3rd set it looks like i am leading with my hips on all the reps. When you say dont lift the chest so soon, do you mean after the initial push im lifting my chest too early?

You mean you're trying to keep your upper back in "extension" right? Not flexion.

Because you're coming down too vertical, you end up on your toes in the bottom and off balance. Then the hip drive gets you up initially, but because you're forward of midfoot (and probably the bar being too high), you start to lift the chest a little sooner than you should.

Check out Nick D's video on bar placement in our YouTube channel to be sure. Nothing else will get fixed if the bar is too high.

Ok, i watched the video. I’ll make the adjustments when i squat tonight and post the results. I do definitely have a problem with going on my toes too much. Thank you for the advice. *and yes i meant extension