starting strength gym

Thread: Overextension on deadlifts

Default Overextension on deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Pete,

I decided to record my deadlifts today and what I noticed is that I have a lot more extension then I thought I did. Do you see any problems here?

YouTube

Hey dude
    Yeah, from this angle it looks like you're able to get pretty well past neutral, but I'd like a view from a higher angle to see to what extent.
    You also have a pretty narrow stance. I'd widen up a bit and turn the toes out. Then keep the bar on your legs.

I’ll give that a try. The only tome the bar loses contact with my legs is just above the knee — does it need to ride closer?

The bar touching (or not touching) the legs is an indicator. It tells us if the joints are opening with the right timing and/or if you're staying midfoot through the pull.
    Watch your feet as you get the bar past your knees. Your weight is shifting to your heels. You can get away with this for now, but eventually it's going to be a sticking point eventually.
    You could think of driving the hips forward as the bar approaches the knee and see if that helps. Or, focus on staying midfoot through the pull to lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    The bar touching (or not touching) the legs is an indicator. It tells us if the joints are opening with the right timing and/or if you're staying midfoot through the pull.
    Watch your feet as you get the bar past your knees. Your weight is shifting to your heels. You can get away with this for now, but eventually it's going to be a sticking point eventually.
    You could think of driving the hips forward as the bar approaches the knee and see if that helps. Or, focus on staying midfoot through the pull to lockout.
    The shifting to my heels as the bar goes past my knees would indicate that I’m a little too forward during the bottom half of the pull, correct?

Doesn't look like it to me. Either you're hanging out over the bar too long or your unconsciously rocking back and trying to use your bodyweight against the bar to keep it moving.

starting strength coach development program
    Interesting. Maybe the overextension is keeping me out over the bar for too long