starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi! I started doing Starting Strength three weeks ago and felt a mild pain on the sides of my patella after performing squats of 180x5x3 last week. I noticed that my knees were more forward than the desired position. I reduced the weight to 160 lbs the following session and practiced my form. I tried to watch other squat form checks and my squat (work sets posted below) for several times but still having some troubles analyzing the mistakes that I'm still making and things where I can improve.

First set (rear view): YouTube
    Second set (side view): YouTube
    Third set (rear view): YouTube

Belt - I'm still trying to figure out how I can avail one from Pioneer. There are no good lifting belts for sale in my country atm.
    Shoes - Using an old Adidas tennis shoes. Same issue, struggling to find a decent pair of weightlifting shoes in my country. Still looking for a way how I can get a shoe from USA and not be charged with shipping fee that costs way more than the shoe.

Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by Andrew Figueras; 05-25-2020 at 08:28 AM.

The two main issues I see are as follows: 1) You aren't leaning over enough and letting your knees go forward enough in the beginning of the reps (see side view video); you are too vertical with knees not bending enough in the beginning. Think "lean over, butt back" in the beginning to get the bar over mid-foot sooner rather than later. 2) You are too deep on most of the reps which is contributing to your knees punching forward/sliding in the bottom. Aim for hip crease just below parallel. The combination of these two errors might be making your knees feel not so great at heavier weights.

Hi! I hope you're having a great day

I trained today and did the best that I could to correct the errors that you pointed out.

First set (side view): YouTube
    Second set (rear view): YouTube
    Third set (side view): YouTube

Thank you!

Tried to set my knees comfortable at the beginning of the squat. These felt better but wasn't sure if I got it right. To me, the first rep looks like a good squat. Would love to hear from you! Thanks again!

2nd set (side view): YouTube

These look good. Keep up the search for the shoes and belt!

Hi, coach Ryan! May I confirm which video you're referring to? I coincidentally uploaded 2 consecutive entries before you replied and I was hoping to make sure I use the correct video as basis for my squat form

I just ordered my belt from Pioneer and Adidas Powerlift 4 because it's the only option I have right now, should be here after a month or two!

Thank you for the great feedback and stay safe!

Everything after Hayden's comments looks fine. Keep on truckin'

starting strength coach development program
    Finally! Thank you so much for your help, coach!