starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Form Check

Default Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I have run starting strength before without the power clean involved. 5 rep max deadlift is 315, and I'd like to try learning the clean. Yes, I've read the damn book and watched all the videos available from Mark online.

Any technique advice and critique would be appreciated. Last set of my 5x3 @110 lbs.

IMG_6306.mov - Google Drive

Thanks

Gio

It looks like your shins are just about vertical, but I can't tell for sure because these need to be filmed with more of an angle. Check the sticky for filming guidelines.
    You could do with a wider grip. Is this also your deadlift grip?

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the my barbell is a smaller standard one from the 70s I had in my garage, lol.

I'd say my grip is about half a handwidth out from my deadlift grip. Is that fine?

Also, I pull my hips back until I feel tightness in my hamstrings and my shins are vertical, is that correct or is that too vertical?

Thanks!

Step 3 of the deadlift setup process is not getting done -- knees are too extended/hips too high. And you are not accelerating the bar off the floor.

Hey Coach,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried again today after making sure to bend knees till shins touch the bar to sink the hips a bit lower, and concentrated on accelerating from the floor.

This was my 5th set of 3 at 140 lbs, which is pretty close to 50% of deadlift for me, so fairly heavy.

How do these look?

IMG_6329.MOV - Google Drive

Thanks!

These are filmed from the wrong angle. Again. Read the sticky please and make sure to film from the correct angle.

Alright Pete. Hope this works for you. 5th set of 3 @135 lbs today. Filmed at a higher point and at an angle.

IMG_6333.mov - Google Drive

Realy hoping you and Coach Rip got some good advice for me here.

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    You're set up too close to the bar and with your weight on your heels. You need to setup similar to the deadlift with the bar about an inch away from the shins and weight on midfoot.

Next, you need to squeeze up the chest to set the back into extension and get all of the slack out of your arms and the bar.

Work on those things and we can take a look again.