starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and DL form check

Default Squat and DL form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently developed sciatic pain in both legs. My PCP sent me for an X-ray, the results of which diffuse lumbar disc disease and a component of canal stenosis. I have not been lifting for the last couple of weeks due to the pain and other obligations but I am really itching to start again. I want to make sure I’m doing it right before I hurt myself more.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Video links below.
    YouTube
    YouTube

DL - if you are coming back from a layoff I would take a little weight off the bar and ditch the belt. It could be affecting your squeeze. On reps 3-5 you are dropping the hips and resetting the bar forward of midfoot. Can you see how the bar has to curve around your knees? So reset the bar to midfoot in between reps - which means slightly higher hips and slightly less shin angle. Arch the low back hard when you squeeze.

SQ - you are getting into your knees. Sit BACK. Lean over. Knees out

Ryan,
    Thank you for the review of my lifts. I got back in to training yesterday after the lay-off and tried your advice. I think I’m still a little off, especially with the squat. I’m not sure I follow when you say I’m “getting into my knees”. I tried sitting back more but I’m not sure it’s right. As for the DL I think I’m still having to curve the bar around my knees on rep 4 and 5. New videos below.
    Thanks again. Karl
    YouTube
    YouTube

Squat - by "getting into the knees" I just meant your knees were coming too far forward. The knees need to move forward a little in the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the descent and then stay there and not go forward any more for the rest of the rep. So let's pivot. In these squats you are bending your knees first and descending too vertical. Think about your hips. Initiate the movement by sending your hips back towards the wall behind you. LEAN OVER by thinking about pointing your nipples at the floor.

DL - The bar is forward of midfoot when you set up which is causing the curved bar path. On rep #1 you need to set up with your shins 1in from the bar. On reps 2-5 you must reset the bar to the same spot. You are resetting it closer to your toes

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Squat - by "getting into the knees" I just meant your knees were coming too far forward. The knees need to move forward a little in the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the descent and then stay there and not go forward any more for the rest of the rep. So let's pivot. In these squats you are bending your knees first and descending too vertical. Think about your hips. Initiate the movement by sending your hips back towards the wall behind you. LEAN OVER by thinking about pointing your nipples at the floor.

DL - The bar is forward of midfoot when you set up which is causing the curved bar path. On rep #1 you need to set up with your shins 1in from the bar. On reps 2-5 you must reset the bar to the same spot. You are resetting it closer to your toes
    Hey Ryan. Thanks for the clarifications.

Squat - I understand now what you are saying about the squat and I felt the difference when I implemented your advice. So all this time I guess I have been doing it wrong, such subtle changes make a huge difference. I am going to run it through a few workouts before I post a follow up video.
    DL - Haven't gotten a chance to test out the DL yet, I'll focus on making sure I start and reset properly. I must be dropping my hips to move the bar forward because I am always careful when first stepping up to the bar that my shins are 1" away. Again, subtle changes must make all the difference.