starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is my first working set of 3 @ 155 pounds after about 2 months in lockdown. I've previously had a lot of problems reaching depth. Hopefully with my new squat shoes and some time off, things have changed for the better.

One thing that concerns me is what seems like my lower back losing tightness in the bottom. I cannot feel this happening at all, but looking at the wrinkles in my shirt, I thought I noticed it in the second set. I asked my friend to cue me on it in the third set if he noticed it. I didn't feel a thing out of the ordinary when he prompted me. Am I imagining things?

First Set

Second Set

Third Set

What you're seeing is your back going from slightly over-extended to a neutral position in the bottom. Narrow your stance a little, get your knees out and don't over-extend the back to start. Just need to keep it in neutral extension and brace.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    What you're seeing is your back going from slightly over-extended to a neutral position in the bottom. Narrow your stance a little, get your knees out and don't over-extend the back to start. Just need to keep it in neutral extension and brace.
    Pete, Thank you! I made the adjustments and things changed A LOT. For the first time I was able to squat without my femur feeling like it was going to completely destroy my right hip! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Attached is the video of the first set (my bonehead friend missed the record button on sets 2 and 3).

YouTube

I’d like to pay it forward to you. I tried contacting you through the SS online coaches submission form as well as your website link beneath your name for some form checks. I’d love to get better at the squat and really nail it.

Thanks again, Pete. For a while, I was starting to believe I was the one in a million who just couldn’t squat properly.