starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form - Right Hip Pain

Default Squat Form - Right Hip Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Running LP for second time since 2017. I’d experienced pain then in my right hip squatting, nearing the 200# mark. I saw a SSC at that time once but we weren’t able to find anything obvious to account for the pain. I continued to squat to 230# and had to stop.

I’m now about six weeks in at a 200# squat, 178# bw and I’m starting to feel a little of that exact same pain. It isn’t nearly as bad as it was so I’m continuing to squat.

I have cut squatting to twice a week since feeling it, bookended on Sunday and Thursday.

Best way I can describe the pain is, in/near the hip joint. Starting at the top of the inner hip crease and feeling it around the underside to the glute. I feel pain more near the hip crease when standing, externally rotating my femur (turning my right foot clockwise). If I cross my right foot onto my left knee, when sitting in a chair, I feel some pain but more in the glute area. Most acutely, I feel it during the squat, bouncing out of the bottom, and that is mostly felt around the hip crease.

Here’s a back 45 and a full rear view. The rear view shows an obvious imbalance from plate to plate on the bar but curious what others might see in my legs, hips, shoulders, etc.

I included my last sets of bench and PC. All vids stitched together.

YouTube

I know that my right leg is shorter, but to what degree, I don’t know. I was recently seeing a chiropractor. In my X-ray, we found a neck vertebrae near the base of the skull tweaking my head pretty badly to my right but surprisingly my hips were in decent alignment albeit with my right hip slightly higher. My right arm hangs down markedly lower from the shoulder than the left does.

A home gym setup like that is a thing of beauty during corona season!

Squat - just a little too vertical. I would slow down the descent and lean over more. Nothing here to suggest hip pain I don't think. You could try a slightly wider stance too.
    Bench looks fine
    PC - I would widen the stance a touch but keep your grip the same. If this was a DL I would tell you to bring your grip in closer to your legs. Remember to jump with long straight arms. You are bending your elbows. Keep them turned in.

In light of the hip pain/leg length/neck thing I would re-post this in the injuries forum - the folks there will have better insight into this

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    A home gym setup like that is a thing of beauty during corona season!

Squat - just a little too vertical. I would slow down the descent and lean over more. Nothing here to suggest hip pain I don't think. You could try a slightly wider stance too.
    Bench looks fine
    PC - I would widen the stance a touch but keep your grip the same. If this was a DL I would tell you to bring your grip in closer to your legs. Remember to jump with long straight arms. You are bending your elbows. Keep them turned in.

In light of the hip pain/leg length/neck thing I would re-post this in the injuries forum - the folks there will have better insight into this

Thank you for your input. I'll post this in the injuries section too.