starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and deadlift form check

Default Squat and deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I’m a 16 year old who has started the program starting strength 3 weeks ago. Both my deadlift and squat feel weird in the sense that I can only feel the weight in my knees and lower back. Could someone look at this? Thank you.

Deadlift: YouTube

Squat: YouTube

Welcome young Jack. Please go read the sticky for appropriate filming angles to post form checks here. I worked a long time to make it and makes me cri when people don't read it before posting.
    You're going too deep in the squat.

Sorry I got a bit too eager. I’ll be sure to get my friend to record at a proper angle on my next working set on Tuesday. I’ll also keep the depth in mind.

Ok so here’s my working sets today at a different angle

Squat: YouTube

Deadlift: YouTube

I feel like I load 90% of the weight into my lower back in both deadlift and squat. I don’t feel any of the movements in my hamstrings and glutes. I would appreciate any criticism of my form. Thank you.

You could've started with the bar on the other side of the rack and then had your friend shoot from further away so we could see more. I can't really see anything with this except that your elbows look like they're cranking up. Need to lift the chest to set the back and keep the elbows down, then get the whole torso leaned over.

Deadlift looks ok, but you need to get more slack out of the bar. Hear that rattle as you pull it off the ground? Try and get all of the slack pulled out of the bar when you set the back so it comes off the ground as quietly as possible.