starting strength gym

Thread: Squat, Deadlift & Power clean check

Default Squat, Deadlift & Power clean check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hi everybody,
    hoping everybody is safe and well,

3 weeks ago my gym was finally able to open again, and after 2 weeks of having fun and just enjoying myself doing whatever bodybuilding machine that felt nice im back to the program.

unfortunately only yesterday i heared one of the latest podcast with mark speaking on how to get back so ive realized that i was dumb to try lifting close to my old weights but at least that was at my 2 weeks of having fun so ive used this as a guideline for how much weight i should pick for each excersise.

unfourtantly again, my gym moved the equipment a bit so i only managed to film some of my squats (that i compiled into 1 video), deadlift and powercleans.

Squat: link
    in the video - 130 kilos, a full session of 135 and 140.
    the most obvious to me is the knee slide, a problem i struggled with alot before the layoff, the gym owner doesnt let me to bring a piece of wood for TUBOW and i havent found anything that i can use instead(foam roller too short).
    other then that only minor things - the stance that was a bit too narrow, ive fixed it back and my wrists that doesnt always stay straight - ive had a flexion problem before that i struggled fixing until i found out that if i let my wrists extand a bit somehow that bar doesnt feel like it slides on my back, but it's a poor excuse and i am still working on it.

would to hear your opinion, should i take a big reset (and if at what weight to start considering im now back at 145), to work on my knee slide? and if not, what would you recommend i can do right now towards fixing it.

Deadlift: link
    in the video, a warmup of 130 kilos and a failed video of 150 kilos that luckily i managed to save 2 reps(the phone slide)
    felt really good to be back deadlifting, it sure as hell the excersise that suffered the most from this layoff but it is what it is.
    i feel my technique was good but you be the judge.

Power clean: link
    same as the deadlift, felt really good and i know the weight is light in this, but i prefer to slowly build it back up 5 kilos at a time.
    here again, you be the judge.

You need to fix your grip first. The wrists are too extended (bent backward) and the bar is sitting on the heel of the palm, so when you lean over more, it's going to shove the bar up your back. Get your palms behind the bar instead of under it, and the wrists more neutral for a more secure grip on the bar.
    Then, lean over more and sooner. Send your ass back away from your feet.

Deadlift is ok, but I would have you separate setting the back from the actual pull off the ground.
    Power clean is half cut off.
    Take a look at the sticky for filming angles/guidelines.

thanks a lot pete!

heres an update from yesterdays workout:
    squat - link
    press - link
    deadlift - link

ive noticed that i struggle a bit with my breathing, it feels like when i under a load i cant fill my belly with air all the way through, any tips with that?

Happy to help, but need you to follow the guidelines.
    Post a video with one top set of 5 for the lift that you're looking for feedback on.

You need to breathe through your mouth into your belly. A belt my help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Happy to help, but need you to follow the guidelines.
    Post a video with one top set of 5 for the lift that you're looking for feedback on.

You need to breathe through your mouth into your belly. A belt my help.
    Thanks Pete, the reason I’m uploading the whole workout is for you to be able to see if my knee slide is something happening from the very start and it is a technique error or if it’s an habit that happens only at my worksets.

Anyhow, press and deadlift are last set both, and if you mind a bit of scrolling the last set of squat starts at 1:45, although I would appreciate if you could watch the first to sets starting at 0:40, cause at least for my eyes it seem that those 2 were better.

Understand if your busy to do it, anyhow I’ll upload my last set of today’s workout today or tomorrow.

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    It doesn't really matter when it starts if it happens on the last set we see. It needs to be addressed. We don't mind doing pro bono work for the community, but ask that you follow the guidelines and are respectful of our time.

You're still blending step 4 and 5 on the deadlift. You have to set the back, pause a beat, then pull the bar. Press video is unavailable.