starting strength gym

Thread: New bar not secure during the squat

Default New bar not secure during the squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I did a bit of searching and was unable to find a post specifically about this issue, but if there is one sorry that I missed it. Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyways, this is both a form and possibly equipment issue but I figured I'd ask it here. I had a 2.5 month layoff due to my gym closure. Another gym in town has been open for a few weeks and I've been going there in the mean time waiting for my regular one to open. All of my main lifts are just about back to where they were: bench now 245 3x5 prior was 265, press 160 3x5 prior was 170, deadlift now 370x5 was 395. However my squat is a real struggle even at 315 when I was up to 385x5. The weight doesn't feel heavy but the bar is not secure it feels it is close to falling off, when I know I have it in the right place (in the shelf under the acromion process on top of the meat of the delt). I never had any issue like this prior to the layoff. This new gym has pretty shitty bars that are real slick and no A/C so I get sweaty as hell which I'm sure isn't helping. Worth posting a form check or could it be due to the new gym conditions? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shawns32428 View Post
    I did a bit of searching and was unable to find a post specifically about this issue, but if there is one sorry that I missed it. Long time lurker, first time poster. Anyways, this is both a form and possibly equipment issue but I figured I'd ask it here. I had a 2.5 month layoff due to my gym closure. Another gym in town has been open for a few weeks and I've been going there in the mean time waiting for my regular one to open. All of my main lifts are just about back to where they were: bench now 245 3x5 prior was 265, press 160 3x5 prior was 170, deadlift now 370x5 was 395. However my squat is a real struggle even at 315 when I was up to 385x5. The weight doesn't feel heavy but the bar is not secure it feels it is close to falling off, when I know I have it in the right place (in the shelf under the acromion process on top of the meat of the delt). I never had any issue like this prior to the layoff. This new gym has pretty shitty bars that are real slick and no A/C so I get sweaty as hell which I'm sure isn't helping. Worth posting a form check or could it be due to the new gym conditions? Thanks
    Few ideas- Does the barbell have center knurl? Do the collars rotate freely? I assume you wear a cotton shirt. If you are sweating that much be sure to bring a 2nd or even 3rd shirt. Chalking the shoulders/upper back helped with bar security when I had issues. I found that my main problem was not getting my back tight enough on the last couple of reps. I was taking several deep breaths before reps 4 & 5 and getting loose. I refocused on staying tight on every rep and just taking one breath between reps. I did wind up getting some A7 bar grip shirts too which were quite helpful while I sorted my form out. They were a little more effective than chalking a cotton shirt and way less messy. A video would be useful. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

Post a vid and we'll take a look

Thanks for the replies guys. I chalked up the center gnarling and that certainly helped. After looking at the video though it is still an issue as the bar still wanted to roll. The elbows dropping to compensate is a problem, and it is in general obviously affecting my depth as I generally don't have issues going below parallel. Video is linked