starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift 380x5x1

Default Deadlift 380x5x1

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube
    This is after about 10 weeks of rehabbing my IT band. Am I getting all the slack out of the bar on the final reps? Anything else? I acknowledge that I haven't yet implemented straightening my back while pulling the slack out. How much should this help with minor rounding/an impaired ability to tighten the back on the final reps?

Thanks,

Jack Morrison

Hi Jack,

1) Slow down both your setup and your back flattening a bit.
    2) I would get your setup in place first and make it distinctly separate (wait a second) from the back squeeze. When you set up, try and keep your head more neutral (look about 6-10 feet ahead on the ground).
    3) You are squeezing your back flat, but squeezing the slack out isn't really happening at the same time. It's delayed and this causes you to lose the flatness as you pull. Try and pull the slack out as your flatten your back. Then slowly push the floor away (stand up) to start the rep.

What do you mean by setup? Could you define setup for me in the way that you use it as a step distinct from pulling the slack out?

Setup would be getting your stance, bar over mid foot, then bringing shins to the bar, and pushing your knees out into your ams slightly. All this needs to happen before you set your gaze, breathe and squeeze the slack out of the bar. If you do these steps quickly and let them run into the eyes/breathe/squeeze you will often introduce errors in the setup.

YouTube
    This is 385x5x1. This feels way better. Do you see anything yet that I am not doing perfectly? Thanks a lot.

This is better in terms of the setup being distinct from the squeeze. A couple things:

1) Set your gaze a bit farther ahead on the ground. You are looking too close and then shift your gaze to farther ahead as you pull. We want your gaze locked on a place 6-10 feet in front of you on the floor the entire time.
    2) As you squeeze your chest up/back flat your butt is dropping causing the bar to be knocked forward of mid foot. Keep your hips locked into place as you squeeze.

YouTube
    This is 390x5x1. It looks like I refrained from dropping my hips on most of my reps. Anything else? Other advice? Thanks a lot.

starting strength coach development program
    You are still dropping your hips as you squeeze; you can see the bar get pushed forward. You are now looking too far ahead/up with your gaze. Look at a spot on the floor the entire time. This will help keep your chest down as you squeeze your back.